This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

How to reload application menu in Plasma 5

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
fusion809
Registered Member
OS
Hi,

I have Plasma 5 installed on my Sabayon Linux machine and my application menu has been set to "Application Menu" format (by going to the "Alternatives" option). I have been trying to edit the menu by right-clicking the KDE icon (which when left-clicked opens the Application Menu) and clicking "Edit Applications..." but after customizing the menu to my liking, clicking "Save" and closing this window the changes I have made to the menu have not taken effect. I have even tried rebooting and it has made no difference to the menu's contents. So I have wanted to started editing /etc/xdg/menus/kde-4-applications.menu and it has made no difference to my KDE Application Menu. I haven't rebooted my system yet, because I don't want to reboot again, if it is unnecessary.

Thanks for your time,
Brenton

Linux, math and medicine enthusiast that has tried over 50 different distros, but mostly just uses Gentoo, KDE neon (git unstable / user edition) and openSUSE Tumbleweed.
wolfi323
Registered Member
OS
fusion809 wrote:Hi,

I have Plasma 5 installed on my Sabayon Linux machine and my application menu has been set to "Application Menu" format (by going to the "Alternatives" option). I have been trying to edit the menu by right-clicking the KDE icon (which when left-clicked opens the Application Menu) and clicking "Edit Applications..." but after customizing the menu to my liking, clicking "Save" and closing this window the changes I have made to the menu have not taken effect. I have even tried rebooting and it has made no difference to the menu's contents.

Try running "kbuildsycoca5" as user, this will rebuild the menu cache and notify the application launcher of the change.
And check whether your changes have actually been written to ~/.config/menus/applications-kmenuedit.menu.

So I have wanted to started editing /etc/xdg/menus/kde-4-applications.menu and it has made no difference to my KDE Application Menu.

By default, /etc/xdg/menus/applications.menu should be used.
But your distribution might have changed the name. kde-4-applications.menu would rather sound like the KDE4 version though.
Is there a kf5-applications.menu maybe?
Deevad
Registered Member
OS
Hey, this topic is really well referenced in search engine; but the solution above didn't work for me. It's ok, the thread is from 2015.

A solution I found to be sure to reload all in 2022 is to restart Plasma.

Press alt+F2 and copy/paste that:

Code: Select all
kquitapp5 plasmashell && plasmashell

A bit strong, but efficient. 👍

dacorsa
Registered Member
Is possible launch in the root konsole as user?

Thanks