This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

installing plasma5 alongside KDE4 - separate env

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
tyreed
Registered Member
OS
hello,
I added (opensuse 13.2) KDE 'frameworks5' (plasma5) and qt5 repos, but I can't figure out how to Install plasma5 ALONGSIDE plasma 4 (KDE4).
When I try to install plasma5-desktop or workspace, yast wants to deinstall, replace KDE4, plasma4 files, libraries.

put another way,
I want to install plasma5 as a separate desktop environment, like I've done with xfce, enlightenment and can do with gnome.
When I boot, and get to kdm (login screen) I can choose from other desktop environments.

How can I install Plasma5 as a Whole New Environment, with it's own Display Manager entry, WITHOUT Replacing KDE4 (plasma4)???
It should end up with it's own .KDE5 (example) directory off the root of user's home (my home directory).
I've thought about mkdir .kde5, downloading source and building it there, but I would rather install from a repo, for dependencies and updates.

Thank you in advance,
Reed.
google01103
Manager
you're not supposed to but it is possible see for openSUSE https://forums.opensuse.org/showthread. ... ost2654365

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

tyreed
Registered Member
OS
google01103 wrote:you're not supposed to but ....

I like the sound of that... 'not supposed to, but' : )
Thank You.
Reed.
google01103
Manager
actually more accurate to say you not supposed to be able to and afaik it is only possible in openSUSE because of the work of wolfi

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

tyreed
Registered Member
OS
It worked... mostly.
there are a lot of autoinstall conflicts to resolve. One in particular offers 1st option to downgrade 500 (sort of) files to i586 (x86, i386) architecture.
Don't, the second or third choice is to simply install a new file...

I followed instructions you gave above (substituting reops for opensuse 13.2). And all went well.
I rebooted, made sure Plasma 5 was a choice in display manager (login screen). It was.
I Continued on to KDE4, just to make sure It was still there.
I Rebooted, this time, into Plasma 5. Made sure Konqueror, Terminology & desktop configure started, they did. Konqueror looks nice in 5.
Rebooted, logged into KDE4 and found it somewhat messed up, changed.

NOTES:
changing the 'theme' and or colors in Plasma 5 changes your KDE4 setup. So backup (save) your color scheme before doing this.
GTK apps in KDE4 are Trashed. The oxygen-gtk theme must have been updated with 5 and looks Terrible (on dark theme)
-- don't know why, but GTK apps like Firefox and Sublime-Text 3 have some toolbars (menu, tab) remain white when theme is dark when using oxygen-gtk, now. I had to change gtk theme for 2 and 3 to QtCurve to return these couple of toolbars to my dark KDE theme.
YaST2 is updated and has the flat, **** look of Plasma 5. YaST remains flat. May be loading gtk gui instead of Qt, or now it's using Qt5 libraries.
Menus, kicker, kickoff, launcher... what ever they're calling it these days is light colored and NOT the dark theme I had built before adding Plasma 5.
-- Again... Make SURE you backup (save) your theme, colors, etc. BEFORE you add Plasma 5.
Changed a lot of mime-type icons... I don't see where the hicolor or oxygen icon themes were updated. It didn't update
-- It didn't 'update' icon themes. It only changed theme to P5 icons. Changed back to my ReFit-Black (or what ever). All's good there.

The look is something I might not be able to get used to. I'm fond of clean and simple, but Plasma 5 looks flat & ****'ish, something like an Android (smart) phone and NOT a computer. It really looks 'girly'...
It's less impressive, fancy, developed than OS2, NeXT or even windows 386 were 20 years ago. There is NO depth to buttons, tabs etc.
It looks like Firefox has tried to become all emulating google chrome. FLAT!

But,,,, the instructions did work to install Plasma 5 as a separate environment, alongside KDE4 and Enlightenment.

google01103 & wolfi
THANK YOU!
Reed.
einar
Administrator
OS
If you're using openSUSE, bear in mind that's a completely unsupported setup and may break constantly in case of upgrades.

"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent."
Plasma FAQ maintainer - Plasma programming with Python
wolfi323
Registered Member
OS
einar wrote:If you're using openSUSE, bear in mind that's a completely unsupported setup and may break constantly in case of upgrades.

I try to do my best to keep it working though... ;)