This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Random freeze only in Plasma 5 DE

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
jakedarcy
Registered Member

Random freeze only in Plasma 5 DE

Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:29 am
I have random system freeze which usually lasts 5-10 seconds every 10 mins or so. But I don't have this issue when I am on other DE, like xfce. This issue occurs after my upgrade from opensuse 13.2 to Leap 42.1 which delivers plasma 5.

I don't know where I should start to diagnose.
luebking
Suspend the compositor (SHIFT+Alt+F12) and see whether this changes anything (freeze stops, resp. freezes "only" kwin, ie you cannot move/raise/activate windows etc.)

If that "resolves" it to any degree, paste the output of "qdbus org.kde.KWin /KWin supportInformation" somewhere (in case of "here", please use code tags ;-)
jakedarcy
Registered Member
luebking wrote:Suspend the compositor (SHIFT+Alt+F12) and see whether this changes anything (freeze stops, resp. freezes "only" kwin, ie you cannot move/raise/activate windows etc.)

If that "resolves" it to any degree, paste the output of "qdbus org.kde.KWin /KWin supportInformation" somewhere (in case of "here", please use code tags ;-)

Thank you luebking. I later busted the criminal which gave cpu usage spikes. Not surprisingly, it is baloo extractor. After about one day it seems it has finished the indexing task. Now I no longer have this freeze problem.
luebking
It would indeed have been my next question.
bad default scheduler issue?

https://blogs.kde.org/2014/10/15/ubuntu ... ystem-1404