This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Howto change keyboard layout/language for global shortcuts?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
holgerk
Registered Member
Hello!

My settings got somewhat scrambled since the last update. Most of it is working again, but not all of the global keyboard shortcuts.

I have a German keyboard, so e.g. z and y are exchanged compared to an English keyboard. Now, if I assign Meta+Z to start playback in Amarok as a global shortcut, pressing Meta+Z doesn't do anything. But pressing Meta+Y magically starts playback.

How can I fix this?

Thanks
Holger

PS: It's not a hardware thing ... I created a fresh user from scratch and for him it worked as expected on the same machine.
luebking
https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=353926

Code: Select all
pkill kglobalaccel5
kglobalaccel5 &

Works now?
holgerk
Registered Member
Well ... somewhat ... I'd say half way: The bad keys stop working, but the good keys don't start right away.

So currently, "start playback" is on Meta+Y ... when the machine boots (with automatic login into KDE), Meta+Z will actually start playback, whereas Meta+Y doesn't do anything (it will input y in a textbox).
Next I killed that process and restarted it. Now both Meta+Z and Meta+Y don't do anything.
Then I logged off and in again which makes the global shortscuts actually work as expected. Meta+Y starts playback, whereas Meta+Z inputs a z into that textbox (KNotes does, Firefox does nothing).

Well I can also just log off and in again to make the shortcuts work ... killing the process isn't needed. Now I only need to find a way of telling KDE to do the autologin, but only after the keyboard has been set up.

Any more magic commands to try :-D
Holger
luebking
Errr... do other global shortcuts (Alt+F2, Alt+Tab) work after restarting kglobalaccel5?
holgerk
Registered Member
Well, nothing to complain so far about the other shortcuts. E.g. Meta+S starts KSysGurad (and did so before the update). Meta+T was supposed to start KCalc, at least it did before the update, I just had to recreate it. We'll see, if these will work tomorrow after a reboot.
holgerk
Registered Member
I can confirm, that Meta+T and Meta+S work as expected right after boot+autologin as well as after logout+login, whereas Meta+Z and Meta+Y exchange their meaning reproducible.

In addition, I found the screen magnifier by default reacts on Meta+= & Meta+- which are the 2 keys next to backspace on the English keyboard. After logout+login I cannot trigger it any more. Instead I mapped it to Meta++ & Meta+- which only works after logout+login and not on boot+autologin, as the plus and minus keys are way different. Sadly the number block + and - don't work with this, although I actually used them to assign the shortcuts.
luebking
Is it somehow related to the autologin then? (Ie. what if you login the normal way from the beginning on?)

Split KP_+/- and alphanum +/- is acutally a feature. The GUI is broken here -> https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=183458
holgerk
Registered Member
Positive: Setting the new dummy account to autologin transfers the buggy global shortcuts to whichever account is selected. If no account is selected for autologin the bug is gone and the first real login (actually typing the password) gets the correct keyboard-layout for its global shortcuts.

Congratulations, you've nailed it. I hope, this will help you to reproduce it yourself.

As a sidenote: I had to configure this via
Settings > Start&End > Login screen (SDDM) > Advanced > Automatic login
The other possible configuration
Settings > Usermanagement > my-account > automatic login
is ignored completely. It only saves the checkbox state, not doing anything.

Thanks for the pointer concerning the numpad. I registered my email, to express my interest in that bug too.

I wish you a merry Christmas!
Holger