This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

How to disable unnecessary krunner session switch message ?

Tags: session, krunner session, krunner session, krunner
(comma "," separated)
gamallw
Registered Member
OS
Hello,

Kubuntu 15.10.

Each time I try to switch sessions, and quite aside from the fact that sessions do not work at all in my 15.10* (resolved), krunner first displays an informative warning message explaining about CTRL+ALT+Fx switching. I'm sure this is great the first time ever you use sessions, but I don't need the reminder; however there is no "don't show this again" tick box.

Is there a setting to make it go away ?

<rant> Seriously; in KDE3 sessions used to just work. KDE4 introduced mandatory screen locking when switching (viewtopic.php?f=66&t=95747), and now 5 has an additional unskippable "warning" message (and, again, sessions don't work, at least for me)... what's next in 6 ? Mandatory running over burning coals and Clockwork Orange-like unskippable cutscenes conditioning for safe usage of the session feature, or else ?

Is there some deliberate "sessions are evil / deprecated, don't use them" movement in the KDE community of which I am unaware ?
</rant>

Regards,
G.

* viewtopic.php?f=289&t=130428
google01103
Manager
could you be a bit more detailed as how krunner is invoked?

I just switched to 5 and in 4 from the launcher switching users invoked Krunner for the actual switch and I don't have that option in the launcher in 5. I also have the user switcher plasmoid which seems to work except when I try switching user.

So the only options I'm seeing are the plasmoid and alt+ctrl+ but of course my problems could be because because I also have 4 installed

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

gamallw
Registered Member
OS
google01103 wrote:could you be a bit more detailed as how krunner is invoked?

Certainly.

I use the K menu: Leave / Switch user.

Then KRunner pops up with a pre-filled search on "SESSIONS", yielding the option "Desktop Sessions : New session" as its only result, upon the activation of which a message window pops up:

Warning -- New Session --- krunner wrote:You have chosen to open another desktop session.
The current session will be hidden and a new login screen will be displayed.
An F-key is assigned to each session; F7 is usually assigned to the first session, F8 to the second session and so on. You can switch between sessions by pressing Ctrl, Alt and the appropriate F-key at the same time. Additionally, the KDE Panel and Desktop menus have actions for switching between sessions.

It is this message that I wish to be rid of.

Apart from that message, I think the behaviour was identical in KDE 4 -- but I can't check that right now.
google01103
Manager
The menu switch user thing not working so well for me as it somehow forces an exit of the session but I have no Krunner involvement I get a narrow screen wide thing with existing session buttons and a new session button BUT the new button reboots the session and the existing buttons does nada. The plasmoid/widget does better in that it does do new session but the existing session button does nada.

google01103
Manager
just realized that I'm probably running a newer version then you and that's why I'm probably not experiencing what message

gamallw
Registered Member
OS
I'm running Kubuntu 15.10, fully upgraded.

Not sure what that means in terms of KDE This or That versions. I used to find that in Dolphin's help, for instance, but there no longer is such information.

Is there a command in the style of lsb_release that prints relevant KDE version information? If there is not, there should be.
wolfi323
Registered Member
OS
gamallw wrote:Not sure what that means in terms of KDE This or That versions. I used to find that in Dolphin's help, for instance, but there no longer is such information.

There is.
The version of dolphin (or whatever application you take) and the used KDE Frameworks and Qt versions is displayed in Help->About xxx on the "Version" tab.

This always showed the application and KDE libraries version, never the version of the Desktop (how should it know that? You might even run the application outside of Plasma, which might not even be installed...).

Is there a command in the style of lsb_release that prints relevant KDE version information? If there is not, there should be.

For the version of the Desktop, look in KInfocenter, or run "plasmashell -v".

Or look at the package versions in your package manager.

Regarding your original question: yes, this switch message has been removed in Plasma 5.5 as mentioned.
Plasma has its own session switcher now, and doesn't "abuse" KRunner for that any more like it did in KDE4 and in upto 5.4.
gamallw
Registered Member
OS
wolfi323 wrote:The version of dolphin (or whatever application you take) and the used KDE Frameworks and Qt versions is displayed in Help->About xxx on the "Version" tab.

Indeed. I somehow missed the version tab entirely.

KDE Frameworks 5.15.0
Qt 5.4.2 (built against 5.4.2)

wolfi323 wrote:Regarding your original question: yes, this switch message has been removed in Plasma 5.5 as mentioned.
Plasma has its own session switcher now, and doesn't "abuse" KRunner for that any more like it did in KDE4 and in upto 5.4.

That is welcome news.

Thank you.

_______ Aside ______

wolfi323 wrote:This always showed the application and KDE libraries version, never the version of the Desktop (how should it know that? You might even run the application outside of Plasma, which might not even be installed...).

You're right of course, but I might object to the "always". Was that really the case even in the days of KDE 3 ? I haven't at all kept up with the fragmentation of KDE since then, and, if I recall correctly -- and assuming I understood correctly at the time -- it used to be pretty monolithic, so that a single version number, like 3.5.1, would have been sufficient information.
wolfi323
Registered Member
OS
gamallw wrote:You're right of course, but I might object to the "always". Was that really the case even in the days of KDE 3 ?

Yes:

The about dialog showed the version of the application and the version of the kdelibs that are in use (the part about "Using KDE 3.5.10..." displays the kdelibs version).
Although you are right of course that KDE3 was more monolithic, it consisted of fewer, larger packages, and everything was released together at the same time by KDE.
Whereas we do have KDE Frameworks, KDE Plasma Workspace and KDE Applications released independently.
And this separation makes sense, you don't need the Plasma desktop to run KDE applications e.g.

And already in KDE4 we had different version numbers, in the last years at least.
kde-workspace (which includes the desktop) got feature frozen in 4.11, and stayed with version 4.11, so the latest version of the desktop is 4.11.20, while kdelibs is at 4.14.16 now (and some of the KDE4 applications at 15.12.1, others at 15.08.3, 15.04.3, 15.12.3, or 4.14.3; the individual applications often had a completely different version number as well, ark 15.04.3 shows 2.19 e.g., this was already similar in KDE3 though)
gamallw
Registered Member
OS
wolfi323 wrote:The about dialog showed the version of the application and the version of the kdelibs that are in use (the part about "Using KDE 3.5.10..." displays the kdelibs version).

Yes; but usually, for core apps like dolphin -- or rather its predecessor, Konqueror I think; though strangely I recall trying out dolphin in KDE 3; maybe there was a backport ? -- it was the same number; as is the case in your example. So from the viewpoint of the user, there was just KDE x.y.z, which you could get from the about window, and desktop behaviour was included in that single number, as that was part of kdelibs (?). (The screenshot reminded me consciously that the version used to be in the title... that's why I didn't look for the version tab.)

wolfi323 wrote:And this separation makes sense, you don't need the Plasma desktop to run KDE applications e.g.

It certainly does. It's a bit harder for the user to keep track of, however. In my case I got very busy during the KDE4 era, stopped following what was happening version by version, and upgraded late. (I switched to KDE5 only a month ago -- and only because I needed to reinstall in 64 bit for work anyway). In the case of functions like user switching, it's not clear at all to me a priori which components it might involve. (And from what you say, IIUC, that function moved from being handled in the applications (KRunner), to Plasma).

Anyway, this is all rambling to understand the origin of my own confusion; my problem in this topic has actually already been solved, so feel free to ignore the above. Good day.
wolfi323
Registered Member
OS
gamallw wrote:though strangely I recall trying out dolphin in KDE 3; maybe there was a backport ?

Yes, dolphin's development has started during KDE3 times already, but it was an addon application not directly released as part of KDE3.

It got merged into KDE4 as the default file manager, and Konqueror's own filemanagement part was dropped in favor of just using dolphin-part.

it was the same number; as is the case in your example.

Yes, it was the same number by chance, so to say. Because everything was released at the same time.

wolfi323 wrote: (And from what you say, IIUC, that function moved from being handled in the applications (KRunner), to Plasma).

Yes.
Although KRunner still provides this functionality as well I think.