This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Icon locations not being saved.

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
vhradice
Registered Member

Icon locations not being saved.

Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:45 pm
I have upgraded my system from Feroda 21 KDE4 to Fedora 23 and Plasma 5.5.3. I am having a problem with Plasma saving the locations of my Desktop icons. When I logged in the first time the icons were arranged in columns alphabetically. I moved some around to group them for convenience for me. I also changed from columns to rows. After I logged out and logged back in, the icon were rearranged into rows and alphabetically. I looked for some sort of option to set so Plasma would not change the location. I tried to lock them in place but that did not stop Plasma from moving them again. How do I get Plasma to remember the location of my icons across logouts/logins?

Update: It looks like I have my desktop configured to show the Desktop folder in a folder view. It is not the real desktop but a folder view. I don't know how I got here and I can't figure out how to go back. If I right click on the "Desktop" I get all sorts of options related to folder view but no option to go back.

Thanks in advance as to how to fix this.

Vince
Cager
Registered Member

Re: Icon locations not being saved.

Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:17 pm
I have a similar problem with Fedora 22 KDE 5.5.4. If I arrange the icons as I wish and then use the lock icon option they often stay in position for a couple of weeks. Then when I reboot the machine I find they have been totally re-arranged even though
the lock is still on. Not only that but after taking the lock off I have difficulty putting the icons back where I want them. Some seem to be rubber-banded to where the system decided they should be. Eventually I get them back, put the lock on and all is well for a while. What is causing this? more to the point, how can I stop it? This has been going on over several versions of Fedora at least back to 20.

Cager

Cager, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Nov.
mikescholz
Registered Member

Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:55 pm
I have a similar problem in Manjaro ( Kernel: 4.4.4-1-MANJARO x86_64 (64 bit) Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.5.5
Distro: ManjaroLinux 15.12 Capella) with the Desktop in Folder View:
Sometimes the icons stick to their old position: trying to drag them they snap back to their old position. Sometimes it works..but in 50% they refuse to relocate. Sometimes they snap to another position on the virtual grid that lies beneath ( I assume) . Unfortunately that grid could not be disabeld so its not possibel to freely position the icons. Why ? There are sooo many limitations in Plasma that were not there in KDE 4.x.. that was miles ahead of Plasma..;
vhradice
Registered Member

Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:08 pm
When I reboot all of the desktop icons are rearranged in alphabetical order in rows in the upper left corner of the screen. Is this a KDE problem or a Fedora problem?
google01103
Manager

Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:09 pm
vhradice wrote:When I reboot all of the desktop icons are rearranged in alphabetical order in rows in the upper left corner of the screen. Is this a KDE problem or a Fedora problem?

if you are using the folder view layout and set it to display alphabetically that might be the case, I don't use it so not sure how if it retains the location till a restart or dynamically. Try setting to unsorted. Or maybe try the desktop layout.

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

vhradice
Registered Member

Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:30 pm
I looked at that but there is a problem with it. Under the Arrangement the choices are Rows or Columns for Arrange in and Left or Right for Align. It looks like those are taking precedence over moving the icons and checking the Lock in place box. What are the chances to get None as an available option for Arrange in and Align?
google01103
Manager

Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:52 pm
vhradice wrote:I looked at that but there is a problem with it. Under the Arrangement the choices are Rows or Columns for Arrange in and Left or Right for Align. It looks like those are taking precedence over moving the icons and checking the Lock in place box. What are the chances to get None as an available option for Arrange in and Align?

there should be an "unsorted" option under sorting

if you want none for alignment then you'd to request as a wish on bugs.kde.org, alternatively you could just use the desktop layout

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

vhradice
Registered Member

Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:58 pm
I believe that I am using desktop view. What I don't understand is that some of the icons that I have placed is various places on the desktop stay there over a reboot whereas others are moved back to alignment in rows. Why are some icons treated differently than others? For the ones that are not aligned in the rows, where is their location kept?

Thank you

If a screenshot of my desktop would help explain what I am talking about, I will supply it.
mxttie
Registered Member
OS

Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:25 pm
i have the same problem. Did anyone find a solution?
jfk
Registered Member

Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:53 am
Same here, very annoying.

Plasma 5.11.4.
Echelon
Registered Member

Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:08 pm
I ditched KDE/plasma for several years because of this issue. Today I decided to give it another look, only to discover that the issue still exists after some years, continuing to make the desktop environment unusable. As to the fact that this issue has existed for several years, I cannot decide whether it's sad or laughable. Either way, it's back to Gnome. I'll check back in a few years.
grzybdev
Registered Member

Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:34 am
This issue still exists... It's 2021, ridiculous..