This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Skype icon gone after update to Frameworks 5.19

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
askembris
Registered Member
OS
Hi y'all,

Just wanted to check whether anyone else is missing their Skype icon after the update to 5.19. It was working fine with 5.18 but now the icon is not displayed at all - there is an empty space where the icon should have been. Changing status to e.g. away or offline does not seem to make any difference. I wanted to confirm before I file a bug report.

Using the OpenSUSE Tumbleweed repos for Plasma 5.

A.
einar
Administrator
OS
Do you have "sni-qt-32bit" installed? What happens if you remove it? Do you get the Skype icon after restarting it?

"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent."
Plasma FAQ maintainer - Plasma programming with Python
askembris
Registered Member
OS
Yes, I do have sni-qt-32bit installed, and yes, the icon works fine now. I installed sni after the switch to 5 to get the Skype icon to show.

Thank you very much for your help!

I suppose the latest update made sni-qt-32 redundant? Shouldn't this be posted somewhere? (e.g. on the frameworks' 5.19 changelog page?)

Or did I just miss it?
einar
Administrator
OS
The addition of "xembedsniproxy" (which is a generic solution that works with most if not all legacy systray icons) may make "sni-qt" redundant. Also it doesn't require a patch to Qt like sni-qt does.

tosky
Registered Member
But on the other side, if I remember correctly, sni-qt speaks "the same language" of the new systray system and it definitely integrates better. I think it's a better solution for Qt4 applications (pending confirmation from Plasma developers :)

tosky, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
rdieter
Registered Member
OS
I can confirm this issue affects most (all?) Qt4-based applications that use sni-qt, and there's a bug tracking it at:
https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=359388
einar
Administrator
OS
Turns out I was wrong and it was a real bug in Frameworks, which will be fixed in 5.20: http://commits.kde.org/plasma-framework ... bf2af0ada6