This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

System tray widget without legacy tray icon support

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
molecule-eye
Registered Member
OS
Is there any way to disable the new legacy tray icon support in the system tray? Or, is there any alternative to the system tray widget that does not include it? Or, can I file a wish to have as an option in the system tray settings, the ability to disable legacy tray icons? I can see why people would want them back, but not having had them around in previous versions of plasma 5 had grown me. (They're ugly and I started using things like dropbox's cli tool.)

Cheers!
google01103
Manager
why not just hide them?

per https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/kubun ... 61348.html I would remove the sni-qt and sni-qt-32bit packages and see if that does it

here's the original code but it has been merged into plasma-workspace

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

molecule-eye
Registered Member
OS
Oh, thanks for the sni-qt tip. I guess that should do the trick. (I haven't tried yet but will when I'm on my desktop again.)

I prefer not to hide them since they still populate the hidden icons list, which I'm not a huge fan of.
wolfi323
Registered Member
OS
molecule-eye wrote:Oh, thanks for the sni-qt tip. I guess that should do the trick.

Ehrm, sni-qt is not what you want to remove.

It actually does the opposite, it makes Qt4 applications support the new (SNI) system tray natively. Removing it will make them create legacy icons instead...

What you can remove to "disable" legacy tray icon support is xembed-sni-proxy (or similar, that mentioned mail would suggest plasma-systray-legacy in Kubuntu).
But it's part of Plasma5 itself since 5.5 as mentioned.

It is started by an autostart file though, so you could do this:
move the file /etc/xdg/autostart/xembedsniproxy.desktop to ~/.config/autostart/ and add the line "Hidden=true".
This will prevent it from getting started at login.
Or delete/modify the original file, but then your change will get lost on updates.

Another (crude) "solution" would be to kill the process "xembedsniproxy".

PS1:
google01103 wrote:why not just hide them?

Hiding legacy icons does not work reliably (or at all) at the moment.
https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=356655

PS2:
molecule-eye wrote:Is there any way to disable the new legacy tray icon support in the system tray? Or, is there any alternative to the system tray widget that does not include it?

Plasma5's system tray does not support legacy icons at all.
But a "hack" has been created (xembedsniproxy) to convert legacy icons to new SNI's on-the-fly and that's shipped with Plasma5 since 5.5.0.
molecule-eye
Registered Member
OS
Cheers for that clarification/help!