This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Issues with volume settings changing

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
broadstairs
Registered Member
OS

Issues with volume settings changing

Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:02 pm
Not sure if this is the correct place but here goes. I am having big problems with my volume settings changing. I am running openSUSE Leap with Plasma 5 and I set the volume control in the systray to the setting I want to be default. However it always changes on reboot to 100% and even when I set it back any application I start seems to be able to reset the value to 100%, Kaffeine does this for example. This never used to happen on KDE 4 and is really annoying.

Can anyone explain please how I set a default value which will not change simply when I start an application and will be remembered across a reboot?

Stuart
wolfi323
Registered Member
OS
broadstairs wrote:I am running openSUSE Leap with Plasma 5

Why is your profile saying that you are running Fedora then? ;)

Can anyone explain please how I set a default value which will not change simply when I start an application and will be remembered across a reboot?

That's a "problem" in PulseAudio.
Every application will override the master volume by default.

Set "flat-volumes = no" in /etc/pulse/daemon.conf to prevent this, or configure all applications to use a lower volume (either in the applications themselves or by right-clicking on the volume applet and choosing "Volume Control Settings" while the application is playing sound.

And no, this is not at all specific to Plasma5... The same does happen in KDE4.
Kaffeine is a KDE4 application anyway.
broadstairs
Registered Member
OS
Mea culpa, I forgot to update my profile which I have done now.

Thanks for the info about pulse and it is now sorted.

Stuart