This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Good distros

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
bgrieve
Registered Member

Good distros

Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:02 pm
Hello,

I am really taken by how fantastic looking Plasma 5 looks as a desktop, really brings linux into a modern age a little more and away from the 1990s look imo!

Curious to know which are the favourted distros carrying Plasma 5, especially for stability?

I've tried Kubuntu and Manjaro over the last year, both offer different levels of stability. Occasionally I get the dreaded desktop freeze up which I can only assume is because of my Intel graphics chip.

Kaos seems to get decent reviews as does Opensuse.

Just wanted to gather thoughts from others.

Thank you.
google01103
Manager

Re: Good distros

Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:47 pm
the problem with your question, other than it or variants of it, have been asked and answered multiple times is that the responder will always suggest what they run as they believe their choice is the correct one - for example I'm gonna suggest openSUSE as it works well for me and therefore it should for you. A positive with openSUSE is it now uses SUSE SLE as it's base and has newer versions of the desktops but that means some base components (like the kernel) may not be the newest. Another thing positive is that new versions of desktops are made available for the older supported releases.

If you want stability you should go with distro with a LTS base but sometimes that can mean the newer versions of KDE after a time may not be available unless you upgrade to a newer release.

you should come up with a list of criteria, such as:
- stability
- how leading/bleeding edge (betas)
- package management (.deb, .rpm, .tar)
- available packages and timeliness of updates/patches
- how current is the desktop and will it kept current
- size and support of community

Also should point out that for whatever reason some people have better experience with a given distro than others

If you think you Intel driver is the culprit you should investigate by posting on the distro's forum and here, especially search to see if others in the distro experience the same.

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

bgrieve
Registered Member

Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:55 pm
Good point. I was hesitent to ask as I knew this topic has been raised multiple times no doubt.

I did fine Opensuse was the better for me, I did get a couple of freeze up. The whole desktop froze, mouse everything. All I could was pull the power/battery and force a reboot.

Thanks for the advice.
google01103
Manager

Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:12 pm
bgrieve wrote:Good point. I was hesitent to ask as I knew this topic has been raised multiple times no doubt.

I did fine Opensuse was the better for me, I did get a couple of freeze up. The whole desktop froze, mouse everything. All I could was pull the power/battery and force a reboot.

Thanks for the advice.

you couldn't get to a virtual terminal (alt+F1)?

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

bgrieve
Registered Member

Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:25 pm
Not tried that, but I'm going to put Opensuse on later and when/if I get the freeze up I will try that. Thanks,