This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

system tray icons

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
begonia
Registered Member
OS

system tray icons

Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:48 am
this is how my system tray icons look on the desktop of my "kde neon" installation (plasma 5.6). (goes on below picture)

Some time ago the icons in the system tray were even bigger. But I still find them too big. Why should they be allmost as big as the application launcher icons? Afer all: it's just the system tray....
Is there a way to customize the width of the system tray icons?
Rog131
Registered Member

Re: system tray icons

Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:15 pm
begonia wrote:
Is there a way to customize the width of the system tray icons?

Short: Edit /usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.systemtray/contents/code/Layout.js

An example: Reduce icon size in vertical panel?? - https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthrea ... post384036
begonia
Registered Member
OS

Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:07 pm
Thank you so much!
I will look into that!
begonia
Registered Member
OS

Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:32 pm
And it worked! Thank you. This took away the last real obstacle for using plasma 5 for me.

Great!

Rog131
Registered Member

Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:22 am
With the Plasma 5.7.0

'The System Tray has been rewritten from scratch': https://www.kde.org/announcements/plasma-5.7.0.php

To get two columns with a narrow panel the user can edit the spacing in /usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.private.systemtray/contents/ui/main.qml

The default is 0.
Code: Select all
    //Main Layout
    Flow {
        id: tasksRow
        spacing: 0
        height: parent.height - (vertical ? expander.height : 0)
        width: parent.width  - (vertical ? 0 : expander.width)

At here, with the default and 'spacing: -8':

Note !
Upgrades to the plasma will overwrote the main.qml edits.

A bug report of the tray icons: Bug 364431 - Tiny icons in 5.7 system tray - https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=364431
apache
Registered Member
OS

Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:13 pm
Is there a way to change system tray icon's colour?
I looked at
https://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tu ... emeDetails
and can't see an item that would define it.

With transparent panel theme and bright wallpaper colours system tray icons are barely visible. Example:
https://i.imgur.com/Ba75aYu.png
begonia
Registered Member
OS

Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:26 pm
most icons in the system tray come from the plasma desktop theme you use.

That can be located in the folder ~/.local/share/plasma/desktoptheme (in your home-directory) or else the desktop themes are in the folder /usr/share/plasma/plasmatheme .
In such a theme there is a folder "icons". That is the place were the system tray gets is icons from.
If you would replace the not-so-good icons by better ones in that folder (from another plasma theme) and restart plasmashell it would be better
begonia
Registered Member
OS

Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:32 pm
On my system (kde neon 5.7) I needed to do it like this:

//Main Layout
        Flow {
            id: tasksRow
            spacing: -3
            height: parent.height - (vertical ? expander.height : 0)
            width: parent.width  - (vertical ? 0 : expander.width)

"spacing: -3" did the trick.
This can be achieved from anywhere using the command line by giving in:
sudo sed -i 's/spacing: 0/spacing: -3/' /usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.private.systemtray/contents/ui/main.qml

After that restart plasmashell.
Rog131
Registered Member

Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:36 am
A review request: Configuration option for System Tray's icon size - https://git.reviewboard.kde.org/r/128400/
Description

I didn't like the recent changes in systray icon size related to bug #364431, so I created this patch in order to make the systray's icon size user configurable

Good idea !
Hopefully it will be part of the Plasma 5 tray.

jsalatas
Registered Member
OS

Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:01 pm
Rog131 wrote:A review request: Configuration option for System Tray's icon size - https://git.reviewboard.kde.org/r/128400/
Description

I didn't like the recent changes in systray icon size related to bug #364431, so I created this patch in order to make the systray's icon size user configurable

Good idea !

I'm the one I made the review request. Unfortunately according to the usability team, the theme should control the icon size and not the user :(
rwalker
Registered Member
OS

Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:58 pm
jsalatas wrote:
Rog131 wrote:A review request: Configuration option for System Tray's icon size - https://git.reviewboard.kde.org/r/128400/
Description

Good idea !

I'm the one I made the review request. Unfortunately according to the usability team, the theme should control the icon size and not the user :(

I've got to keep repatching the qml (which keeps getting changed with each release!!) to get my desired (fixed) sized icons of 16x16 ... Plasma 5 is moving in the direction of Gnome Shell :-\
apache
Registered Member
OS

Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:45 pm
How can I apply this patch. Does it need compiling something? What are the steps?
Rog131
Registered Member

Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:14 pm
apache wrote:How can I apply this patch. Does it need compiling something? What are the steps?

One way to do it

Before you edit, BACKUP !

Downloading the patch 'systray_iconSize.patch' to the temporary directory.
Editing the systray_iconSize.patch: Replacing /applets/systemtray/package/ with the /org.kde.plasma.private.systemtray/

Copying the org.kde.plasma.private.systemtray to the temporary directory.

Opening a Konsole in the temporary directory.

Applying the patch:
patch -p1 -i systray_iconSize.patch

Note !
The patch needs tuning if there are error messages - 'Hunk # FAILED at' - etc.

Copying the patched org.kde.plasma.private.systemtray to the right place.

Restarting the plasmashell.
apache
Registered Member
OS

Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:11 am
I get this. How to do "tuning"?
patch -p1 -i systray_iconSize.patch
File org.kde.plasma.private.systemtray/ is not a regular file -- refusing to patch
1 out of 1 hunk ignored -- saving rejects to file org.kde.plasma.private.systemtray/.rej
File org.kde.plasma.private.systemtray/ is not a regular file -- refusing to patch
1 out of 1 hunk ignored -- saving rejects to file org.kde.plasma.private.systemtray/.rej
2 out of 2 hunks ignored -- saving rejects to file org.kde.plasma.private.systemtray/.rej
2 out of 2 hunks ignored -- saving rejects to file org.kde.plasma.private.systemtray/.rej
jsalatas
Registered Member
OS

Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:43 pm
You don't need the patch. Just edit the file

/usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.private.systemtray/contents/ui/main.qml

and change line 34 from

property int itemSize: Math.min(Math.min(width, height), units.iconSizes.medium)

to

property int itemSize: Math.min(Math.min(width, height), units.iconSizes.smallMedium)