This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

How to show active window on pinned icon

Tags: launcher, task-manager, icons launcher, task-manager, icons launcher, task-manager, icons
(comma "," separated)
tchatterjee
Registered Member
Hi, I'm new to this forum and I'm not sure whether this is the right place to post such a thing:

I use the icons-only task manager. Whenever I try to launch an application from a pinned icon, KDE automatically launches a new window icon (of the respective application) at the end of the list of pinned icons : which isn't really what I was looking for. Is there a way to display my open windows without KDE launching a new icon, i.e. display the status of my open window on top of my pinned app icon when I hover my pointer over it.

I'm sorry if this question seems confusing, I'm sorta new to KDE and English isn't my forte.

EDIT: I forgot to mention I was using KDE Plasma 5
google01103
Manager
moved to Plasma 5 forum

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

google01103
Manager
If I understand you correctly don't think so

what you can do is start the application with "kstart --skiptaskbar application_name" (you can edit the launcher (pinned icon, again if I understand you correctly)). You could then see if the app was running would be the task switcher (alt+tab), windows list widget or use of screen edges

tchatterjee
Registered Member
Almost.. almost there with your solution. But every time I want to start a new application, I'd have to use the console haha.
google01103
Manager
can you better explain "pinned icons"?
- is this when you drag an app to the panel
- or when in the task manager you show select "show a launcher when not running"

if you add the quicklaunch widget to the panel to hold your "pinned icons" you get additional options for those icons such as the ability to edit the command as shown below. When these icons are in the quicklauncher they are refered to as launchers and can be edited