This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Upon updating to Plasma 5.7 compositing is off after startup

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
jerf
Registered Member
After updating to Plasma 5.7 compositing is always turned off after startup. I can turn it on manually by pressing Ctrl-Shift-F12 (sometimes I have to press this combination multiple times for it to work), and then it works fine, but after the next startup it's off again.

This didn't happen before the update (i.e. with Plasma 5.6).

I'm using up-to-date Archlinux x64, with open-source Intel drivers for my Intel 4400 (Haswell) GPU. The issue happens both with OpenGL 2.0 and OpenGL 3.1 backends (with GLX; EGL doesn't work well on my system in any case).

I've found a workaround on Archlinux forums, namely adding "killall plasmashell && plasmashell && kwin_x11 --replace" to KDE startup (e.g. as a script through the Autostart menu in the System Settings) solves the problem. However, this doesn't seem to be a particularly nice solution.

Any ideas on what might be causing the issue, and how to solve it without ugly workarounds?

Thanks!

My thread on this issue on the Archlinux forums, and some relevant posts in a different thread.
Rog131
Registered Member
I think that it is this: Bug 362531 - Plasma panels are not transparent after login - https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=362531

At here, an ugly workaround to fix this:

At start execute the 'plasma reset':

the resetPlasma:
Code: Select all
#!/bin/sh
# Usage: resetPlasma

kquitapp5 plasmashell
sleep 1
plasmashell