This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

How to intercept a desktop notification

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
jdrewes
Registered Member
OS
Hi Forum :-)

I would like to have my computer perform a custom action for each desktop notification (e.g. forward the text content to an LCD display, my TV's OSD or an external text-to-speech generator).

I know how to _send_ a message, but how do I intercept them - how to become part of the notification pipeline?

Cheers,

Jan
airdrik
Registered Member
OS
In System Settings, there is a dialog for managing notifications (in KDE4: System Settings -> Application and System Notifications -> Manage Notifications). In there you can set various actions to perform on various notifications, including playing a sound, showing a popup, logging, speech and running custom commands.

I don't see much documentation, but viewtopic.php?f=225&t=119579 lists the available options.

airdrik, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Dec.
jdrewes
Registered Member
OS
airdrik wrote: System Settings -> Application and System Notifications -> Manage Notifications). In there you can set various actions to perform on various notifications, including playing a sound, showing a popup, logging, speech and running custom commands

Yes this is true, however this would require me to define e.g. a script for every single notification ever. I am looking for a generic way to tap into any and all notifications. Surely this must be possible somehow?...