This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Major annoyances in Plasma 5

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
piper
Registered Member
OS

Re: Major annoyances in Plasma 5

Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:54 pm
edwinbarton wrote:In all honesty I didn't read everyone's replies before I wrote this.

Perhaps you should have.

The last post before your post was Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:06 pm almost a year ago, more than a necro post ;)
sergei_franco
Registered Member

Re: Major annoyances in Plasma 5

Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:15 am
Since my original post from a while ago has been resurrected and I stumbled upon it having one of the problems again, I decided to post here with a work around.

The problem in question is notification sounds. Specifically currently in Neon LTS (16.04 based) even when the notifications muted (and set to 0% for good measure), the Dolphin still makes sounds!!!

So I tried to catch the stream in playback list in the Plasma volume controller (while getting Dolphin to pop-up confirmation dialogue) without any luck.
So the actual solution is to install kmix and catch it there, you only have less than a second to hit the mute button.
For some silly reason Dolphin thinks it is special and its farts do not go into the "Notifications" stream but stand alone.

Once again, bring back the kmix and original klipper as plasma versions suck big time.

Horizontal sliders for volume control are stupid and ugly.

As for other problems, I completely stopped using the Telepathy or whatever default IM is called (I would rather put up with in-browser Hangouts, this is how bad is the Plasma IM app).

Good luck convincing Windows user to switch to Linux with all these little annoyances. Only if programmers stopped adding features and fixed the issues... Unfortunately it is much more fun to write new code than hunt all the bugs and fix the usability issues...