This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Command line access to Plasma clipboard

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
stevek
Registered Member
OS
There are a number of service menus for Dolphin on kde-look.org to copy the path of a file, using Klipper like this:
Code: Select all
qdbus org.kde.klipper /klipper setClipboardContents %U

I'd like to be able to do something similar with the plasma clipboard, rather than using Klipper. Is there any way to do this?
Rog131
Registered Member
stevek wrote:There are a number of service menus for Dolphin on kde-look.org to copy the path of a file, using Klipper like this:
qdbus org.kde.klipper /klipper setClipboardContents %U

I'd like to be able to do something similar with the plasma clipboard, rather than using Klipper. Is there any way to do this?

There are two user interfaces for the Klipper: The old Klipper and the new Clipboard widget: http://blog.martin-graesslin.com/blog/2 ... n-klipper/ .

You could pick the interface.

If you want to use the dbus with the clipboard:
Start the Klipper.
Hide the old or the new interface.
stevek
Registered Member
OS
Hi,

Yes that's how I'm working around the issue at the moment. It's not ideal though. I'd rather not start Klipper at all and just use the plasma clipboard.
stevek
Registered Member
OS
In the end I decided to use xclip, as I'd seen on some other service menus. It does just what I need.
echo -n %U | xclip
CNSKnight
Registered Member
Seems I don't have Klipper in my sys tray settings?
stevek
Registered Member
OS
Is klipper actually running? If not, you can start it from krunner. If you quit it, it should offer an option to autostart next time.
Sir_Brizz
Registered Member
OS
IT's annoying to me that everywhere I look the solution is to go to full blown Klipper. Isn't there an easy command line command to pop something on the clipboard using the Plasma widget (that is much nicer looking and fits the Plasma aesthetic better)? I don't want to have to run full blown Klipper...
david_edmundson
KDE Developer
OS
use xclip.

It talks to the X clipboard which is what klipper follows.

Edit: Someone else said the same thing much earlier. I'm going to type an edit so I look like less of an idiot who only read the top post.