This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Link to Device menu not working

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
r4_broadcast
Registered Member

Link to Device menu not working

Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:24 am
Hello Community...

In the last openSUSE Tumbleweed snapshot, when I try to use the "Link to device" option in the Folder View Desktop, Nothing happens. I've read in KDE Forums that by installing the kde-baseapps5-libkonq from the KDE Apps Repos solves the problem, but it doesn't.

Has anyone noticed it?
How did you fixed it?

Thank you...!!!
wolfi323
Registered Member
OS
It's not working because no device templates are installed.
They have been considered unnecessary, nowadays there should not really a need to create a link to a device on your desktop.
Use the device manager instead to access devices, there's the "Places" panel in dolphin and the file open/save dialog, and it should also work to drag and drop a device from dolphin to the desktop if you really want to have a shortcut there.

You can "fix" it e.g. by copying over the templates from KDE4.
I.e. copy the desired linkXXX.desktop files from /usr/share/kde4/templates/ to /usr/share/templates/ or ~/.local/share/templates/, and the corresponding ones from /usr/share/kde4/templates/.source/ to /usr/share/templates/.source/ or ~/.local/share/templates/.source/ .
r4_broadcast
Registered Member

Re: Link to Device menu not working

Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:39 pm
wolfi323 wrote:It's not working because no device templates are installed.
They have been considered unnecessary, nowadays there should not really a need to create a link to a device on your desktop.
Use the device manager instead to access devices, there's the "Places" panel in dolphin and the file open/save dialog, and it should also work to drag and drop a device from dolphin to the desktop if you really want to have a shortcut there.

You can "fix" it e.g. by copying over the templates from KDE4.
I.e. copy the desired linkXXX.desktop files from /usr/share/kde4/templates/ to /usr/share/templates/ or ~/.local/share/templates/, and the corresponding ones from /usr/share/kde4/templates/.source/ to /usr/share/templates/.source/ or ~/.local/share/templates/.source/ .

I'll give a shot...

Thanks...!!!