This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

First Install: Unresponsive System

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Kekerusey
Registered Member

First Install: Unresponsive System

Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:44 am
OK,

So, I just installed OpenSUSE 42.2 with KDE Plasma 5 desktop on my desktop. The reason is simple enough, I would like to learn more Linux and SuSE was (from right back at v7) one of my favourites. From my POV, I am on a mission to investigate and learn about Linux. I already know a fair bit, but I am, at heart, a Windows Tech so my game plan was get a Linux installation working and configure it to work as far as possible like my laptop (to give me more-or-less the same functionality). If that worked, I would then start to use it "in anger" so to speak (by which I mean, use it to actually do stuff) and eventually [potentially] migrate fully to Linux. I've tried before and have found it difficult.

I'm not planning to abandon Windows but I was recently made redundant and I know that having both Windows and Linux skills in IT is a good thing so ...

Anyway, my system specifications are as follows:
* Core i7 CPU (not the earliest, 2nd or 3rd gen I think)
* ASUS motherboard (can't remember which)
* NVidia 512Mb card with two monitors.
* 167Gb RAM
* 2TB SSHD
* Bluray rewriter drive
* Cyborg RAT3 mouse
* Cheap mechanical keyboard.

The computer was Windows 10 but I wasn't able to get it to dual boot so, having backed up my essential files (I use an i5 laptop for most of my work so I could pretty much do as I want with the desktop) so I wiped it.

It booted AOK, recognised both monitors but sat at a black screen first time. I was able shutdown gracefully (to be fair that was using the power button and neither mouse or keyboard were really involved) but in the morning rebooted and it got to a simple desktop at which I appear to be able to do virtually nothing.

In essence both screens are recognised and the mouse works as far as the cursor glides across both screens and even causes desktop icons on the secondary screen to highlight not on the primary screen for some reason) but I am unable to click on and open anything.

Any ideas?

James
Kekerusey
Registered Member
OK,

My first test proves the OS doesn't like my Cyborg RAT 3 mouse. I had a spare DELL mouse which works perfectly.

From previous experience, I know the linux community sometimes has problems with hardware drivers particularly when they are more esoteric but I wouldn't have thought this mouse would fall into that group since it's quite old.

I know I could just carry on usiong the DELL mouse but it's old and grubby (whereas my RAT is old and not grubby ... yeah I know I could clean it but I like my RAT [GRUMBLE]). So, anyone know how I can get the mouse to work as that would allow me to move on with my plan to test the OS?

Thx :)

Keke (James)
Kekerusey
Registered Member
Hi,

Further research confirms that the issue is my cyborg RAT 3 mouse which basically doesn't work (I'm running the latest OpenSuSE LEAP 42.2) and the solution is supposed to be to edit the xorg.conf file to contain something like the following:

Code: Select all
    Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier     "Mouse0"
        Driver         "evdev"
        Option         "Name" "Saitek Cyborg R.A.T.3 Mouse"
        Option         "Vendor" "06a3"
        Option         "Product" "0ccc"
        Option         "Protocol" "auto"
        Option         "Device" "/dev/input/event4"
        Option         "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
        Option         "Buttons" "7"
        Option         "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
        Option         "ButtonMapping" "1 2 3 4 5 6 7 0 0 0 0 0 0 0"
        Option         "Resolution" "3200"
    EndSection

Several variations on this were tried but all seem to get it to work but not work properly, I can see the mouse cursor but can't click things for the most part. By that I mean the cursor is available (I can move that all around the screen), sometimes some things highlight underneath it but I can't click on things. Interestingly I sometimes can grab the top bar of a window that's open and move it.

I was told to create a file named 20-ratmouse.conf in the folder /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d and put the content in it. Following reboot, it would work ... it didn't.

Now I need clarification ... does every ".conf" file in that folder get processed regardless of name? I ask only because I originally believed that the file I need was xorg.conf so ...

Apologies but my background is Windows so much of this is new to me.

Thx

Keke (James)