This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Power management doesn't work correctly

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
MasterPrenium
Registered Member
Hi guys,

I'm having an issue with power management (screen power saving mode).
I've upgraded from kde4 to plasma 5.8.3.

On the late of kde4 I already had the "same issue" : I was able to get the screen saver automatically, which locked my session, but the monitor never gone into power saving mode (It was working a few months ago, I don't know what happens).
Now, after the upgrade, I'm still getting the same kind of issue, but now, even the locking screen isn't coming up. My session stays unlocks.
I've setted-up power saving on monitor after 1 min, but it doesn't work.

I've managed to get it work on another session (a clean new user, with exactly the same setup), I've found that playing a video on youtube is making the power save to not work, that's OK, but I can't find what is avoiding my power management to work on my main session...

Is there any way to tell plasma to ignore all events that can disable the power management ??
And/or any idea on where can I find a file that can configure the PM ?

Note : xset dpms force off is working correctly....

Here is content of my power management profile :
cat ./.config/powermanagementprofilesrc
Code: Select all
[AC]
icon=battery-charging

[AC][DPMSControl]
idleTime=60

[AC][DimDisplay]
idleTime=300000

[AC][HandleButtonEvents]
lidAction=64
powerButtonAction=16

[Activities][f363b843-6799-45f3-a330-83395b94e9aa]
mode=None

[Activities][f363b843-6799-45f3-a330-83395b94e9aa][SpecialBehavior]
noScreenManagement=false
noSuspend=false
performAction=false

[Activities][f363b843-6799-45f3-a330-83395b94e9aa][SpecialBehavior][ActionConfig]
idleTime=60000
suspendType=2

[Battery]
icon=battery-060

[Battery][DPMSControl]
idleTime=300

[Battery][DimDisplay]
idleTime=120000

[Battery][HandleButtonEvents]
lidAction=64
powerButtonAction=16

[LowBattery]
icon=battery-low

[LowBattery][BrightnessControl]
value=30

[LowBattery][DPMSControl]
idleTime=120

[LowBattery][DimDisplay]
idleTime=60000

[LowBattery][HandleButtonEvents]
lidAction=64
powerButtonAction=16
MasterPrenium
Registered Member
Hi,

I've managed to get a little bit more tests.
I've discovered that FileZilla is making the PM refusing to work. This is of course not a normal behaviour, even if it's transferring data. Making the screen idle isn't like shutting down computer...

Never mind, a problem reminds, I can now see KDE trying to start the "screensaver", the screen go black, but I can still see the mouse pointer, and after a few seconds the screen is back to normal and doesn't try any-more to lock ...

What's happening to KDE ? I'm using this DE since I started using Linux, but I'm getting more and more problems...

Remember : xset dpms force off is working great ...
ybroccard
Registered Member
Hi,

I'm having the same issue. What I noticed, it that the idle time is reset after 30 seconds, regardless of the settings for the screensaver :

try running this in console :

while :
do
qdbus org.freedesktop.ScreenSaver /ScreenSaver GetSessionIdleTime
done

Here it reaches 30'000 (ms) and then it's reset to zero and starts counting again. So this way, it's not possible to reach the idle timeout of 1, 5 or 10 minutes .... Weird ... there must be a conflict with another setting.
ybroccard
Registered Member
I have the same issue since a couple of KDE release. I'm now on 5.12.5 (freshly updated fedora 28) and I still have this bug.

I've noticed that the screen idle timeout is reset after a couple of seconds (20-30 generally).

Sometimes the culpright is Chrome brower and Konqueror, but it depends on the web pages that are open. For exemple, browsing "Service Now" ticketing service makes sure your idle time doesn't reach the goal, but it's hard to find which page or application is disturbing power manager. A browser should not be able to reset the idle timeout, except when playing videos maybe.
Another website disturbing power manager is the Microsoft Teams (https://teams.microsoft.com), once logged in, the idle timeout is as well reset every couple of seconds. Unfortunatelly, at work I need both Service Now and MS Teams to be opened all the time ... Using another brower is an option (that I don't like). Firefox behaves better on that matter.

Would there by a way to prevent that ?

Firefox : screensaver idletimeout ok
Chrome + Konqueror : screensaver idletimeout is reset regularly on some websites
compatico
Registered Member
OS
ybroccard wrote:Firefox : screensaver idletimeout ok
Chrome + Konqueror : screensaver idletimeout is reset regularly on some websites

I had the same issue with an update to Chrome - it would prevent power management on most sites, not just active sites like Youtube where the video playing would allow Chrome to block power management.

After I realized that and tested Firefox, I immediately dumped Chrome and went back to Firefox and found it to be a lot faster and less resource intensive. Firefox Quantum is also multi-threaded so it uses any of my CPU's to spread out the load, not just one. Much improved over Chrome and it has more user configuration options to customize and use it how you want. With Chrome you use it the way Google programmers think you should use it.
:-\
With Kubuntu v18.04 LTS Firefox is back to the default web browser. YAY!
;D