This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Error opening kdewallet after update to plasma 5.8.95

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
B_old
Registered Member
OS
I'm using OpenSuse Leap 42.2 but regularly update the KDE components. Recently the update for plasma 5.8.95 arrived. Since then I get the following error message when trying to unlock the kde wallet:
"Error opening the wallet "kdewallet". Please try again. (Error code -41: Unknown cipher or hash)"

The kwalletmanager application can be started. Kgpg is also running but I cannot access any UI.

Any idea how I could resolve this?
wolfi323
Registered Member
OS
Are you using a GPG key for kwallet?

The problem is that kwallet 5.30 requires gpgme 1.7.0 for that, but Leap 42.2 only has 1.6.0.
So kwallet is built without GPG support currently in KDE:Frameworks5.

I'm afraid your only option currently is to switch back to the standard Plasma and KF5 packages in 42.2 (or use KDE:Frameworks5:LTS which contains the latest Plasma 5.8 LTS version and Frameworks 5.26).
B_old
Registered Member
OS
I assume that I use a GPG key for kwallet. I remember some kind of wizard.

Would it work again if I installed gpgme 1.8 from e.g. security:privacy or some other repository? To me, your answer sounds like gpg support is completely disabled.

Is it possible to switch to a different key and circumvent the gpg issue?
wolfi323
Registered Member
OS
B_old wrote:Would it work again if I installed gpgme 1.8 from e.g. security:privacy or some other repository? To me, your answer sounds like gpg support is completely disabled.

Unfortunately not.
The GPG support is disabled on build time because a suitable gpgme is not found.
It would need to be rebuilt with gpgme >= 1.7.0.

Is it possible to switch to a different key and circumvent the gpg issue?

Yes, you could resetup your kwallet using blowfish encryption (the "classic" method).

I doubt that you would be able to open your existing wallet though.

Maybe downgrade, export the wallet in kwalletmanager5, upgrade, and import it again.
B_old
Registered Member
OS
Thanks for the answer! I simply created a new wallet. This was the quickest way for me.

Out of curiosity though: You say, gpg support is disabled on build time because a suitable gpgme is not found. But aren't there many dependencies that are not suitable in the default repositories? After switching the kde repositories many packages were updated.
How does this build process work?
wolfi323
Registered Member
OS
B_old wrote:Out of curiosity though: You say, gpg support is disabled on build time because a suitable gpgme is not found. But aren't there many dependencies that are not suitable in the default repositories? After switching the kde repositories many packages were updated.

Well, we do add necessary packages to the additional repos if they are not in the standard repos (or in a too low version).

But in this case, nobody has noticed I suppose.
kwallet still builds fine if gpgme is not found, but the functionality will be missing.
(it is an optional build dependency)

OTOH, adding gpgme 1.7 or higher to the repo may also cause problems, as it will break all packages (from the standard or other repos) that are built with a lower gpgme AFAIK.
There are bug reports about such problems in KDE Neon...

How does this build process work?

The build tools check for all necessary development packages and if not found the build is aborted, or the corresponding features are disabled automatically, depending on how the developers specified it.
B_old
Registered Member
OS
FWIW, gpgme was not even installed as far as I can tell. Is there a possibility that kwallet did not use gpgme before?
Anyway, my initial problem is resolved.
wolfi323
Registered Member
OS
B_old wrote:FWIW, gpgme was not even installed as far as I can tell. Is there a possibility that kwallet did not use gpgme before?

I'm sure you have gpgme installed. ;)
The package are called libgpgme11 and similar though.

And yes, kwallet did use gpgme before, that is required for GPG support as mentioned.
Previously, there was a specific gpgmepp5 for KDE Applications that built upon earlier gpgme versions.
This was dropped and moved directly into gpgpme in 1.7.0, that's why gpgme 1.7.0 is needed now (at compile/build time) for this functionality.
arthur
Registered Member
Hi wolfi,

Do you have a related bug report ? I can't find anything on bugs.kde.org.

Thanks
wolfi323
Registered Member
OS
arthur wrote:Do you have a related bug report ? I can't find anything on bugs.kde.org.

No.
This was no bug really, at least not in KDE.

openSUSE's kwallet package had been built without gpg support (in the additional KDE:Frameworks5 repo for openSUSE Leap 42.2), but that's been changed meanwhile.
arthur
Registered Member
ok, because I have the same issue on Fedora :-\