This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

kickoff: can't launch application as root

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
annuzzer
Registered Member
This is kinda translation of what I posted on the German subforum yesterday:

I've installed XAMPP/LAMPP from the Apache Friends site (https://www.apachefriends.org/xampp-files/7.0.13/xampp-linux-x64-7.0.13-1-installer.run) and would now like to launch the server manager application (manager-linux-x64.run) via Kickoff (KDE application launcher).

The LAMPP stack is installed to /opt/lampp and starting the server manager via terminal (
Code: Select all
sudo /opt/lampp/manager-linux-x64.run
works flawlessly. Therfore I right-clicked the Kickoff-icon, chose "Edit applications...", selected the "Development"-entry and added a new item. On the "General" tab I entered
sudo /opt/lampp/manager-linux-x64.run
into the "command" field and ticked "Run in terminal" on the adjacent "Advanced" tab. This procedure works fine on different KDE-flavoured distros I've tried in the meantime (fedora, OpenSuSE Leap 42.2) but not in LinuxMint.

If - after saving the above mentioned changes - I select "Development > XAMPP" from the KDE menu an optical feedback / a 'starter' appears for less than a second - and that's it. I've replaced the "sudo /opt/lam..." command with
"gksu /opt/lam...",
"gksudo /opt/lam...",
"kdesu /opt/lam..." and
"kdesudo /opt/lam..."
but can't make the graphical manager app start with these commands either.

Anythinng I missed?

Ann
Rog131
Registered Member
Have you tried the 'Advanced' tab option 'Run as different user' ?

...and the command without sudo.
annuzzer
Registered Member
@Rog131:
Thank you for your reply. I've tried it right now the way you suggested.

While reading your posting I thought I might have missed to omit the sudo "prefix" during earlier trials. Unfortunately your suggestion doesn't work either.

Maybe you (or anybody else) know if there's a configuration file for kickoff that can be accessed by text editor?!

Best regards,
Ann
Rog131
Registered Member
annuzzer wrote:...into the "command" field and ticked "Run in terminal"

...While reading your posting I thought I might have missed to omit the sudo "prefix" during earlier trials. Unfortunately your suggestion doesn't work either.

Maybe you (or anybody else) know if there's a configuration file for kickoff that can be accessed by text editor?!

What terminal emulator / version are you using ?

If Konsole then maybe it is this: Bug 366793 - Regression in Konsole's handling of command line parameters - https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=366793

A workaround is to use another terminal: Execute shell script with desktop icon - viewtopic.php?f=67&t=138119

The Kickoff is a KDE launcher that is launching your desktop file. When your made/edited the launcher item you made a desktop file to the ~/.local/share/applications/. More: https://docs.kde.org/stable5/en/kde-wor ... index.html

You could launch desktop files from the command line: viewtopic.php?t=37981
-> With the KF5:
kioclient5 exec /path/to/the/desktop-file.desktop

$ kioclient5 --help
Usage: kioclient5 [options] command urls...
Command-line tool for network-transparent operations

Options:
  -v, --version              Displays version information.
  -h, --help                 Displays this help.
  --noninteractive           Non-interactive use: no message boxes. If you
                             don't want a graphical connection, use --platform
                             offscreen
  --overwrite                Overwrite destination if it exists (for copy and
                             move)
  --commands                 Show available commands
  --author                   Show author information.
  --license                  Show license information.
  --desktopfile <file name>  The base file name of the desktop entry for this
                             application.

Arguments:
  command                    Command (see --commands)
  URLs                       Arguments for command
annuzzer
Registered Member
@Rog131:

Thank you very much. Issues actually seem to depend on the terminal you use. Installation of xterm did it.

Is there a formalized way to say 'thank you' / express gratitude? Can't see the kind of button other forums use...

Best regards,
Ann