This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Desktop icons messed up.

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
dpaolini
Registered Member

Desktop icons messed up.

Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:08 pm
Hi,
every time I log in, all my desktop icons are randomly placed all over the desktop. Then I place them as always, start to work, etc etc log out and the next time I log in, same story again: all is messed up. Any idea to keep them as I like and not have to reorder them every time?

These are my settings:

OpenSuse Leap 42.2
Plasma 5.8.3
Plasma Framework 5.26.0
Qt 5.6.1

Desktop: folder view
Icons arranged in columns, aligned to the left, unsorted, folder first and unlocked. (I also locked them but nothing changed)

Any ideas?

Thank you all.
Cager
Registered Member

Re: Desktop icons messed up.

Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:51 am
I Am afraid I cannot help you but I have had the same problem as you on various versions of Fedora going back to Fedora20. I have recently updated to Fedora25 but still have this problem. I can rearrange the desktop to my liking and set it to unsorted and locked, but it only stays locked for a variable number of re-boots before reverting to sorting by name! smebody must know how to fix this (I Hope).

Cager, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Nov.
kdg1955
Registered Member

Re: Desktop icons messed up.

Sun May 28, 2017 7:15 pm
I have the same problem on Fedora 24 for plasma version 5.8.6-6.
I have found a lot messages on different forums and have tried a lot of the proposed solution without positive result.

The solution I have already tried:
1) Rebuild database
=> move "$HOME/.config/plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc" to ''$HOME/.config/plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc.broken"
=> run "$> kbuildsycoca5"
=> run "$> kbuildsycoca5 --noincremental"
=> add icon on desktop and change wallpaper
=> logout
=> in a non plasma environment (I used runlevel 3) move ''$HOME/.config/plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc.broken" to "$HOME/.config/plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc"
=> logout or reboot. Then start plasma again.
FYI: this is the output of kbuildsycoca5 (and of kbuildsycoca5 --noincremental)
kbuildsycoca5 running...
"KConfigIni: In file /usr/share/applications/fedora-release-notes.webapp.desktop, line 7: " "Invalid escape sequence \"\\\"\"."
"KConfigIni: In file /usr/share/applications/fedora-release-notes.webapp.desktop, line 7: " "Invalid escape sequence \"\\$\"."
"KConfigIni: In file /usr/share/applications/fedora-release-notes.webapp.desktop, line 7: " "Invalid escape sequence \"\\\"\"."
"KConfigIni: In file /usr/share/applications/fedora-release-notes.webapp.desktop, line 7: " "Invalid escape sequence \"\\$\"."
kf5.kservice.sycoca: The menu spec file contains a Layout or DefaultLayout tag without the mandatory Merge tag inside. Please fix your file.

2) Attention : after this I had to reconfigurate all desktops and activities !
=> remove file '$HOME/.confi/plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc'
=> run "$> kquitapp plasmashell; sleep 30; plasmashell &"

PLEASE HELP ... Because It starts to innervating me.