This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Desktop widgets suddenly disappeared

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
mazter
Registered Member
OS

Desktop widgets suddenly disappeared

Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:48 am
Hi,

Last night I logged out from my desktop (kubuntu 16.10 with plasma 5.8.5) and logged back in this morning to find my deskop empty. I had a folder view widget, a clock and a bunch of notes lying around. It seems they're only not being displayed because I can still see them defined on ~/.config/plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc . The only thing I did was adding the redshift-control widget to my main panel.

any ideas on how to get them back ?

Last edited by mazter on Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NoNameNoBlame
Did You install 'redshift' before?

$ apt list redshift
Listing... Done
redshift/xenial,now 1.10-5ubuntu1 amd64 [installed]
mazter
Registered Member
OS
NoNameNoBlame wrote:Did You install 'redshift' before?

$ apt list redshift
Listing... Done
redshift/xenial,now 1.10-5ubuntu1 amd64 [installed]

Yes, and that widget isn't the problem, it is working fine, I only mentioned because it was the last thing I did regarding messing with desktop widgets that could have had caused the rest of the desktop widgets to disappear.
mazter
Registered Member
OS
Any ideas ?

At leas I found where the notes are stored on ~/.local/share/plasma_notes, which were my main concern.
NginUS
Registered Member
This happened to me last night out of nowhere. I used to look like this [1], but now there's nothing [2]. When I re-add panels & widgets, the dialog shows numbers in the corners of widgets that used to be present, as though they're still there, even though they aren't there. The screenshot utility can't catch what I see there since the widget column disappears when I pres 'PrtScr'.

I'm running linux Mint 18.1. All my aptitude packages are up-to-date.

I don't know what happened, or how to fix this. Please help!!

[1]
https://imgur.com/a/FltTk

[2]
https://imgur.com/a/ziruu
Tromzy
Registered Member
OS
Have you, by any chance, tried to start a Wayland session just before your problem ? I have this problem when all my desktop widgets disappear on X11 avery time I start a Plasma Wayland session on a multi-monitor setup. I filled a bug report for that.
mazter
Registered Member
OS
Tromzy wrote:Have you, by any chance, tried to start a Wayland session just before your problem ? I have this problem when all my desktop widgets disappear on X11 avery time I start a Plasma Wayland session on a multi-monitor setup. I filled a bug report for that.

Not in my case, I use whatever kubuntu uses by default.
SamTzu
Registered Member
OS
Just happened to me too (Ubuntu 17.10 with KDE 5.11.3 installed.)
I could see that the widgets were there from the "Add Widget panel" but after my dual screen had recovered from hibernation the widgets went somewhere to hide. Something had happened during the "sleep" that reset all Activity backgrounds on left monitor.
After messing around with the OpenGL settings and putting the OS to sleep they magically re-appeared.
mazter
Registered Member
OS
Yes, is a PITA, I only use one external monitor, because when I put two (over HDMI input), the desktop widgets go crazy, it changes background image, moves some times the widgets between screens, or unilaterally changes the main monitor (my laptop) to one of the other screens.
SamTzu
Registered Member
OS
Happened to me again after I turned my dual screens back on.
Something to do with sleep mode. Seems only way to get them back is to close the screens and let the OS think it's nap time :)

Sam
SamTzu
Registered Member
OS
I also noticed that now that the widgets are back again the desktop background (on that screen) that I changed is back again to the original background (from a week ago.)