This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Tray icons too large (Skype & Slack etc.)

Tags: icon, tray, slack, electron, bug, large icon, tray, slack, electron, bug, large icon, tray, slack, electron, bug, large
(comma "," separated)
petrnehez
Registered Member
OS
Hello,
I am using Kubuntu 16.10 on quite new Dell Precision 3510 but I am having an issue with the icons in the tray notifications area.
They are too large, scaled up. I have no idea why it is like that.

I have also updated to KDE 5.8.5 but with no success.
Any idea how to fix it?

Thanks.
sulicz
Registered Member
I have the same problem with Skype (skypeforlinux) icon on Kubuntu 16.04 LTS.
aegurrola
Registered Member
Same issue here with Slack. Any Solution?

KDE Neon Developer Edition - Stable Branches
KDE Plasma: 5.10.4
KDE Frameworks: 5.37.0
Qt: 5.9.1
Kernel: 4.8.0-58-generic
xxxddd
Registered Member
OS
libappindicator1 not installed

libappindicator1 installed

The problem that vivaldi (browser) and google chrome depend on libappindicator1 ...
aegurrola
Registered Member
I see. Any possible fix/workaround? could we exclude slack from libappindicator1 somehow?
alextee
Registered Member
Same problem! And it has been around for almost a year already. Very annoying. And I see, no one cares about it.
vcherkasov
Registered Member
I found solution with running skype by `env XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP=Unity skypeforlinux`
But also I have issue that left click wont raise window, and it is not fixed
leandrw
Registered Member
It seems to be a Chrome/Electron problem. You can temp solve this by making these apps "think" they are running in Unity.
Edit the *.desktop file (Right click on Kick launch > "Edit applications"), prefix with XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP=Unity.

As others have pointed out, this actually seems to be a Chromium/Electron issue. I see it with Keybase too, which is also an Electron app.

Thanks to the Papirus theme page on Github, I found a workaround. Preface the command with XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP=Unity when running GPMDP. I edited my .desktop file (via the KDE Edit Applications menu option) so that the command looks like this:

XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP=Unity google-play-music-desktop-player

With that, my icon is fixed.
- WHODAFLY

Image - Franz and Slack icons now fixed

Refs:
https://github.com/MarshallOfSound/Goog ... ssues/2029
petrnehez
Registered Member
OS
I like the solution with setting of the prefix, before that I was using hardcode-tray AUR package to change icon files (currently running on Manjaro KDE).
kde-logidelic
Registered Member
Thanks for that. The XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP=Unity work-around worked for me.

Is anyone working on this bug currently? As people may have noticed, Electron apps are quite popular these days, so I'm surprised such a large bug has survived this long...
SOUR times
Registered Member
kde-logidelic wrote:Thanks for that. The XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP=Unity work-around worked for me.

Is anyone working on this bug currently? As people may have noticed, Electron apps are quite popular these days, so I'm surprised such a large bug has survived this long...

sure hope so, because with slacks recent redesign, it got a bit more annoying, now tray icon looks like swastika >:(
prefix workaround worked fine, fortunately :)
xixek
Registered Member
That works perfectly. But to make things completely clear (as I had some problems with understanding what to do exactly) that is what I did:

I had problem specifically with slack, that after update has changed the icon and now notification is shown as small red dot on the top right corner. It was not visible as icon was too big and cropped.
To fix it go to:

Application Launcher (menu),
right click - Edit Applications
find Slack (or anything else you want to fix) - in my case it was Internet -> Slack
change the 'command' line from /usr/bin/slack %U to XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP=Unity /usr/bin/slack %U
save.

Restart application and problem disappears.
Sorry for that windows-like explanation ;) Not everyone is an expert :)
Cheers!