This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

What does 'Restore system menu' actually do

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
interele
Registered Member
OS
I would like to know as I have an interesting problem

machine 1 is openSUSE 42.2' out of the box'
machine 2 is openSUSE 42.1 with added programs and prettied up a bit
the home drive for users is an nfs4 box

Log into machine 2 and all the new applications etc are in the menu - then log out
Log into machine 1 and the stuff that is there in a vanilla install is there - then log out
Log into machine 2 and all the new apps and modifications to the menu are gone and it's the vanilla menu
Go to KDE Menu Editor and select Restore system menu and all the added stuff and prettyness comes back

What does it do ? ie can I just delete something in my user home directory with a nice simple script that has the same effect

Ta

M
Rog131
Registered Member
What does 'Restore system menu' actually do

By KDE Menu Editor Handbook:

...Edit → Restore to System Menu...will remove all your custom submenus and items and the corresponding .desktop files are deleted too. This action cannot be reverted.

...can I just delete something in my user home directory with a nice simple script that has the same effect

Yes - by KDE Menu Editor Handbook:
KMenuEdit stores the menu hierarchy in menus/applications-kmenuedit.menu in the folder $(qtpaths --paths GenericConfigLocation) and desktop-directories in the folder $(qtpaths --paths GenericDataLocation) contains desktop files for submenus you created. In applications/ in the folder $(qtpaths --paths GenericDataLocation) you find the desktop files for the custom items you created.

You could remove/edit the KDE Menu editor created files by hand/with a script.

KDE Menu Editor Handbook
- KDE Menu Editor > Help > KDE Menu Editor Handbook F1
- Online: https://docs.kde.org/stable5/en/kde-wor ... index.html
interele
Registered Member
OS
Ah, but $(qtpaths --paths GenericDataLocation) points to ~/.local/share/applications and /usr/share/applications
There is no ~/.local/share/application and /usr/share/applications are where the correct desktop files are
So why does Restore system menu fix my issue ? What else does it do ?

Ta

M