This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Issue Installing Program BlueGriffon in Kubuntu 17.04

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
FrankW
Registered Member
OS
Good morning, 8)

I believe this post is in the correct area of the forum. If it is not, please let me know and inform me of where it should be posted.

Recently I upgraded my system from 16.10 GNOME3.x to Kubuntu 17.04 and the KDE/Plasma 5.9.3 desktop.

Shortly after doing this, I decided to download and install the WYSIWYG HTML editor BlueGriffon. The .deb installation file for version 2.3.1 downloded and was installed by Discover all without incident.

Curiously, the software appears under the applications catagory of Lost and Found, rather than Internet (or another, more appropriate, heading). It is just now that I have had time to delve into this matter to seek a resolution.

From what I have been able to discern thus far, the heading of Lost and Found is used for software that contains data that is not recognized by Ubuntu (?) as belonging to the file system. If my understanding is incomplete or just flat out wrong, please educate me! If my understanding is correct though, I do not comprehend why BlueGriffon would be installed by (or through) Discover, not generating any sort of error message, and end up listed under lost and found.

Can someone please help me to understand this issue more clearly and (hopefully) recommend a solution to have BlueGriffon re-catagorized more appropriately? I have thought to try 'apt-cache search', but it did not return anything.

Thank you!

Frank

Precision T-5400 -- 2 - Quad Core Xeon @ 3.16GHz 20 GB RAM NVIDIA GeForce 210 1GB DRAM - Using X.org X server Nouveau driver

Kubuntu 17.04 - KDE Plasma 5.94
tosky
Registered Member
I don't know BlueGriffon, but most likely it is a problem with the .desktop file provided by that program. The *.desktop files are used to build the menu (and other stuff) and they specify the category/ies of the program.

tosky, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
FrankW
Registered Member
OS
Thank you for your thoughts on this issue tosky. I appreciate your insights as well as your input!

If your theory that the root of the issue I'm having with BlueGriffon is with its .desktop file, then what would you propose for a solution? Would you advocate for deletion of the existing .desktop file followed by the manual creation of one to replace it? And if that is how you would approach this problem, I imagine you would, at a minimum, restart the system between the deletion of the old file and the creation of the new one. Am I correct in this?

If it seems as though I am asking a lot of very basic questions, it's only because I am! ??? 8-)

Thanks!

Frank
tosky
Registered Member
The desktop file is installed under /usr/share/applications, it's a basic INI-style file. One of the keys should be Categories, with a list of categories separate by a semicolon. The valid categories are specified in the Desktop Menu Specification here: https://specifications.freedesktop.org/ ... ec/latest/.

That key in the bluegriffon.desktop file only contains
Code: Select all
Categories=Web;

and Web is not a valid category. Most likely something like
Code: Select all
Categories=Development;WebDevelopment

would be more appropriate.

In any case, this is not an issue with Plasma; please report it to the BlueGriffon support; the desktop files are used almost by all desktop environments, not just Plasma.

tosky, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
FrankW
Registered Member
OS
Hi tosky,

Sorry to be so long geting back in touch, but it's been a day!

What you say in your message makes perfect sense. I won't claim to comprehend all of it presently, but after some rest, it will undoubtedly be clearer.

Given that BlueGriffon, as far as I know anyway, isn't a part of any Linux distribution I don't find it surprising that something like this could happen. I shall take your suggestion and email the people at BlueGriffon regarding their error in the .desktop file in the morning as soon as my eyes allow me to focus. If I gave the impression that I somehow felt or thought that this issue was in anyway the fault of KDE/Plasma, then I am heartily sorry. One of the primary reasons why I chose to go with KDE/Plasma over GNOME is my uneducated and uninformed belief that it is a superior desktop environment to GNOME and most certainly to Unity.

I am marking this matter as resolved. As before thank you for sharing your wisdom and experience with me.

Best regards,

Frank

Precision T-5400 -- 2 - Quad Core Xeon @ 3.16GHz 20 GB RAM NVIDIA GeForce 210 1GB DRAM - Using X.org X server Nouveau driver

Kubuntu 17.04 - KDE Plasma 5.94