This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Activities - Help Me Understand

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
matthewguidry
Registered Member

Activities - Help Me Understand

Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:29 pm
I am having difficulty fully understanding KDE Plasma Activities and how to use correctly. If I understand the concept, Activities allows separate work-spaces (desktops?) with different widgets, wallpapers, applications. This is different from Virtual Desktops where one just delegates application windows to different spaces.

Activities seems incredibly useful and better conceptually than Virtual Desktops. As a user of OS X for many years, I have become quite accustomed to dividing up my desktop using OS X version of Virtual Desktops. Activities seems to take this a step farther.

Yet, I am running into some issues. First of all, some applications do not stay put in one Activity. This may be due to the application itself or a setting that I am missing. For instance, Dolphin sticks to whatever Activity, but the web browser Vivaldi and the music player Lollypop does not.

Also, I would like to add a panel to one Activity but have a second Activity be panel-free. Yet, when adding a panel to one Activity, panels shows up in all.

I am unsure if the behaviors above are bugs or limitations of Activities. Or, likely, me not fully understanding Activities and its settings.

For now, back to Virtual Desktops - which by the way is working as expected and perfectly.
Gummidge
Registered Member
Have not used Activities for some time but your results are as I knew then - non-KDE apps generally do not stick to a specific activity and only one panel can be used.

Re the panel, you can set it to show only apps from the current activity, which may be the way it is intended to work.

Sorry cannot give more specific info.
claydoh
Registered Member
OS

Re: Activities - Help Me Understand

Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:44 pm
Unfortunately panels will be common amongst all Activities.
In the early days of KDE 4, circa 2008, this was possible but it was problematic and/or confusing so panels-per-activity was removed.

claydoh, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct, and KDE user since 2001
matthewguidry
Registered Member

Re: Activities - Help Me Understand

Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:29 pm
Disappointing. I had imagined completely different desktops for each Activity. Oh well, thankfully virtual desktops working perfectly.

Thanks for the answers.