This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Plasmoids get paused while playing games

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
rapescoalex
Registered Member
Hello,

New user (and donor) for the KDE Project here, installed everything and completely ditched windows ... for good!
Got an small issue, when I'm starting CS:GO or TF2 (using STEAM) plasmoids (cpu,memory,swap,temperature monitoring) on the 2nd monitor get frozen until I close the game app (alt+tab doesn't restart them) - I tried to find a setting in order to disable this behaviour but can't seem to find any ... is this a bug ?

I can run a movie on the 2nd display and play on the 1st without any issue, ONLY the plasmoids get frozen - nothing else!
Zren
Registered Member
OS
This happens for Nvidia gpus when it stops drawing the panel for some reason when the compositor is disabled. Games tell the compositor off for more performance (since you don't need to draw a transparent window on top of another window). You can liken this to "Aero Basic" on windows. To fix this bug, we need to tell it to keep the compositor on:

System Settings > Display and Monitors > Compositor
Uncheck: "Allow applications to block compositing"

rapescoalex
Registered Member
"Problem" (feature actually) disabled, everything's more awesome than before now!
Thank you very much!