This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

KDE Plasma 5 issue

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
kallahan
Registered Member

KDE Plasma 5 issue

Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:22 pm
Hi!

I am running Kubuntu 16.04.2 and require some very specific info that I simply could not find on google.
I would like to know if there is some type of code or package that allows me to switch between the Opengl Interfaces GLX and EGL in the Compositor subsection of the system settings menu.

I found code to toggle between Composite on/off, but nowhere could I find an option that would allow me to exclusively switch between GLX and EGL.

Thank you very much!
Rog131
Registered Member

Re: KDE Plasma 5 issue

Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:54 am
kwin + plasma + glx + egl

- KDE Plasma 5.8 To Finally Allow LLVMpipe, Drops EGL On X11 Option: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page= ... nGL-Render
- OpenGL changes in KWin compositing: https://blog.martin-graesslin.com/blog/ ... mpositing/

kwin + GLPlatformInterface + glx + egl

- Bug 100687 - KWin won't draw Aurorae themes under EGL: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=100687
...can be modified by opening ~/.config/kwinrc in a text editor and changing:

GLPlatformInterface=egl

to

GLPlatformInterface=glx

or vice versa...
kallahan
Registered Member

Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:35 pm
Thank you very much!

Could you maybe help me to tackle the reason why I opted for this workaround?
I run Kubuntu 16.04 with Plasma 5 and as you mentioned above EGL support is broken.
More specifically, the nvidia-375 driver had an issue which I managed to fix, but EGL support remained broken.

This was the error message displayed after installing the nvidia-375 driver.
It subsequently popped up with every other package that I installed.
/usr/lib/nvidia-375/libEGL.so.1 is not a symbolic link

I did manage to solve this issue however, with a fix I found through google.
After applying the code, the error messages disappeared, but whenever I select EGL as Opengl Interface desktop effects stop working, as compositing is turned off.
Code: Select all

sudo mv /usr/lib/nvidia-375/libEGL.so.1 /usr/lib/nvidia-375/libEGL.so.1.org
    sudo mv /usr/lib32/nvidia-375/libEGL.so.1 /usr/lib32/nvidia-375/libEGL.so.1.org
    sudo ln -s /usr/lib/nvidia-375/libEGL.so.375.66 /usr/lib/nvidia-375/libEGL.so.1
    sudo ln -s /usr/lib32/nvidia-375/libEGL.so.375.66 /usr/lib32/nvidia-375/libEGL.so.1 

Who is at fault, the nvidia driver or Kwin?
lcronos
Registered Member
OS

Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:59 am
Can you run
ls -l /usr/lib/nvidia-375/
to show us what is in that directory (or more specifically to see if that file exists and if it is a symlink)?

Also post the output of
find / -name libEGL.so.1 2>&1