This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Terrible font and icons rendering on HiDPI scaling

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
prangija
Registered Member
Hi,
I have laptop connected to external monitor. Both displays are set to 4K resolution (3840x2160).
I have issues with pixelated fonts and icons in some parts of Plasma interface once I set scaling factor to 1.5. Font DPI is automatically set to 144 when I set scaling factor to 1.5.
The pixelated icons and fonts are visible in the following screenshot (text beneath the "Look And Feel" title, the "Get New Looks..." button etc):

This is also visible on a lot of other parts of the interface, especially on the icons of log-out screen.
Any idea if this is a bug or it can be solved somehow?
prangija
Registered Member
I've noticed that this issue only occurs if I choose a floating point scaling factor (1.5 for example). I don't have this issue with 2 for scaling factor, but as said in the first post this factor makes everything too big.
Michael
Registered Member
OS
I have the same problem, on any scaling (not only 1.5). The body text of Quipzilla and Kmail for example is rendered very badly. The menu items are sharp but the body of emails and the page itself in the browser has fuzzy fonts.

I am on:
KDE Frameworks 5.35.0
Qt 5.9.0
Kmail 17.04.2-1

Last edited by Michael on Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Michael, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct. / KaOS Linux user
prangija
Registered Member
@Michael: Yeah, I believe that this is a bug/missing feature where all interface parts don't have support for floating point scaling. But I wasn't able to get a confirmation or explanation for this from anyone. If we got confirmation than we could file a bug report and maybe someone would solve it. Maybe it's already being worked on, but I simply didn't get the confirmation from anyone.
Michael
Registered Member
OS
Thank you for the response. Let's hope it will get fixed soon. It is not very convenient to browse / work with fuzzy fonts....

Addendum: yeah, it is an upstream problem in qt: https://forum.kaosx.us/d/1956-font-rendering-voes

Michael, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct. / KaOS Linux user
Jacajack
Registered Member
Hi,

I found that I suffer from similar problem, but it doesn't occur in Kmail or Qupzilla for me.
In my case only system theme selector (as shown above), KDE Store, Plasma loading screen and the darkened pre-shutdown screen are affected, thus I'm not entirely sure if it's exactly the same thing.
Has anyone found any solution to this problem or know anything about any ongoing changes to fix this in the qtwebengine?
If the patches have been already applied, I might be looking for another issue.

Thank you in advance
danieltkatch
Registered Member
Anything new on this? It's mid 2019 and there are more and more high resolution monitors out there. It'd be a real pity if this remains unfixed...
ericsxons
Registered Member
danieltkatch wrote:Anything new on this? It's mid 2019 and there are more and more high resolution monitors out there. It'd be a real pity if this remains unfixed...

There are constantly improvements being made (Nate's blog gives a good impression: https://pointieststick.com/) and most (surely not all) font and icons render fine on HiDPI on my Arch system by now. :)