This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Closing Laptop Lid Disables Touchpad

Tags: touchpad, close, lid, laptop touchpad, close, lid, laptop touchpad, close, lid, laptop
(comma "," separated)
lcronos
Registered Member
OS

Closing Laptop Lid Disables Touchpad

Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:48 am
Hi,

Since the mid-late KDE 4.x days (those were the first versions of KDE I used) I've had an issue where my touchpad completely stops working after closing my laptop lid. This occurs on every distribution I've tried. I've done some experimenting and have confirmed that it only happens if I close my lid without locking it with ctrl+alt+l first. Additionally, it doesn't matter if sleep on lid close is enabled or disabled (so it's not sleep related). Recently I started putting the touchpad icon in my panel, and forgot to hit ctrl+alt+l first, so when it got stuck I saw that my touchpad is actually disabled. It uses the synaptic driver. Running synclient TouchpadOff=0 doesn't work (synclient reports that it's already enabled). Using the numpad to move the mouse, I can click on the touchpad icon and re-enable my touchpad. This only happened once in my testing though. Every other time, it shows the mouse is enabled, but I can't disable it by clicking on it. If I run synclient TouchpadOff=1 then click on it, it does work again. Since I have two work arounds, this is just an annoyance, but it's one I'd like to get fixed. Does anyone have any ideas?
dvogel
Registered Member
OS
Hi,
May I advice you to add more details about your setup ? I personally don't really understand how you can use the touchpad with the lid closed.
Have you checked xinput if the device is not disabled at the Xorg level ? Have you checked if this appends with another DE/without plasma (maybe start a minimal X, run xclock or xterm, and monitor your touchpad events using xinput).

Cheers,
Dorian
lcronos
Registered Member
OS
Lol sorry, I missed an important detail.

The touchpad isn't working from that point on. So when the lid opens again the touchpad remains disabled. I can confirm it only happens in Plasma. I3, Gnome, Xfce, and Mate have all worked fine for me. I haven't tried xinput yet, but I'll edit the post once I have.
kaijiec
Registered Member
OS

I can confirm this issue

Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:34 pm
I have the same issue.

Close lid and open lid, touchpad stops working.
Suspend (from the menu) and wakeup works fine.
And close lid after suspend works fine.

Currently I'm running plasma desktop 5.8.7 on Debian Sid. Using libinput driver for a synaptics touchpad.

I've tried Debian MATE and Ubuntu Unity livecd, both worked fine.

Debian KDE livecd 9.0.1 is buggy, so I tried Kubuntu 17.04 livecd, same issue confirmed.

UPDATE:
I can use "toggle touchpad" shortcut to re-enable it after lid open.
but if i disable touchpad by "toggle touchpad", I can't re-enable it using the same key. It always shows "Touchpad Off"
I believe there is something wrong in the touchpad management.