This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Plasmashell high CPU usage on launching Steam

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Seiren
Registered Member
Hello everyone.

As far as the general issue of plasmashell hogging CPU there's a long-running topic, however this case seems different altogether in character. I've been aware for a long time that launching steam/steam apps raised plasmashell's CPU % so that restarting it became a part of my launch routine. However, it hasn't occurred to me until recently that this was the ONLY instance in which I could observe the rise.

The phenomenon is as follows: while usually plasmashell sits at no more than 3% CPU, upon launching Steam it skyrockets to up to 50% and doesn't decline even after closing all related windows, accompanied by the following entries in the output (the QXcbConnection errors appear throughout the logs for any system activity BTW):

Code: Select all
trying to show an empty dialog
Error contacting the daemon!
/home/alex/.local/share/Steam/steam.sh: line 154: VERSION_ID: unbound variable
/home/alex/.local/share/Steam/steam.sh: line 154: VERSION_ID: unbound variable
Running Steam on arch  64-bit
STEAM_RUNTIME is disabled by the user
QXcbConnection: XCB error: 2 (BadValue), sequence: 3485, resource id: 10485768, major code: 142 (Unknown), minor code: 3
QXcbConnection: XCB error: 2 (BadValue), sequence: 3585, resource id: 31457286, major code: 142 (Unknown), minor code: 3
QXcbConnection: XCB error: 2 (BadValue), sequence: 3645, resource id: 10485768, major code: 142 (Unknown), minor code: 3
QXcbConnection: XCB error: 2 (BadValue), sequence: 3763, resource id: 44040198, major code: 142 (Unknown), minor code: 3
QXcbConnection: XCB error: 2 (BadValue), sequence: 3938, resource id: 10485768, major code: 142 (Unknown), minor code: 3

Upon restarting plasmashell the issue can be replicated by creating a Steam window (even without exiting Steam).

It should be noted that the relation between Steam and Plasma on my system is a troubled one, for instance, .desktop entry creation fails (i'm not alone on this) and there is no systray icon. Wine Steam instances do fine in that regard.

My system: 4.12.4-1-ARCH, Plasma 5.10.4.

I would appreciate your advice on how to collect more relevant information on this problem and ultimately solve it.