This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

[Resolved] Remove shadows on Desktop font

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Tovian
Registered Member
I'm trying to run Mint-18.2 / 64 / KDE. The DE is KDE-5.8.7.
There used to be a check-box in system-settings that you could uncheck to remove shadows on the desktop font. I can no longer find this setting. Is there a way to remove the font-shadow on the Desktop? On my computer it looks like "Segoe" in the Windows world and it's just horrid.

Last edited by Tovian on Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tovian
Registered Member

Re: Remove shadows on Desktop font

Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:04 am
I'm going to mark this thread "Resolved". It seems that Mint-18.2 + KDE Plasma 5 simply equals too many glitches and too few answers.

My short-term solution is to revert my OS to Mint-17.3 with KDE Plasma 4. The longer term solution is to get back to the most current version of Mint but with a DE that meets my needs.

It's been a good ride with KDE, but they are no longer going where I'm headed.
airdrik
Registered Member
OS
Do you remember or can you find where that setting is in KDE 4?
The closest I'm coming up with (in KDE 4.14) is a checkbox in the folder view settings (was this removed in KDE 5?). I don't remember there having been another more general setting for desktop fonts.

airdrik, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Dec.
Tovian
Registered Member
You got it. I guess the powers at KDE have determined that I must strain my eyes in order to use their product - and that just ain't gonna happen !
If I want a shadowed font that I can't change I'll go back to Windows (I actually have a hack to change it in Windows).
Here's a cap of both the Plasma-4 and Plasma-5 Folder View option panels. Note: the "Shadows" check-box no longer exists.

Plasma-4

Plasma-5
airdrik
Registered Member
OS
I'd suggest submitting a report to bugs.kde.org (there may be a reason for the removal of the option, but I don't know for sure)

airdrik, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Dec.
Tovian
Registered Member
I have neither the time nor the inclination to get that deep into a problem that is probably the result of a deliberate decision... ESPECIALLY WHEN THERE ARE SO MANY ALTERNATIVES.

If that feature was dropped intentionally they could not care less that it is a problem for me. If it was dropped inadvertently let them reinstate it and apologize to the user-community for dropping the ball. I probably won't be around to find out what happens (I've already spent too much time on this - I need to shut up and move on)

@ airdrik: Thank you for your interest !!