This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Is it possible to use the keyboard shortcut just Alt+Shift?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
attila123
Registered Member
Hello,
(I am new to KDE and looking for the "best distro for KDE" I installed KDE Neon (as I was OK with the Ubuntu LTS package base).)
For long, long time I use (left) Alt + Shift to change my keyboard layouts. Now I am unsure that I can do it in KDE.
I found the place to change it, I see the default is Ctrl+Alt+k, but I want to use Alt+Shift.
I also see there are a lot of keyboard shortcuts registered with Alt+Shift+[some other key(s)] by deault, so I started setting them to None, as I did not need them:
In "Global Shortcuts":
ksmserver:
- "Halt Without Confirmation" (default: Ctlr+Alt+Shift+PageDown)
- "Log Out Without Confirmation" (default: Ctrl+Alt+Shift+Del)
- "Reboot Without Confirmation" (default: Ctlr+Alt+Shift+PageUp)
KWin:
- "Walk Through Windows (Reverse)" (default: Alt+Shift+Backtab)
- "Suspend Compositing" (default: Alt+Shift+F12) - BTW what a usefult default shortcut, like "shoot myself in my foot"
"Run Command":
- "Run Command on clipboard contents" (default: Alt+Shift+F2)

In "Standard Shortcuts"
- Back: (default: "Alt+Shift+Left")
- Forward: (default: "Alt+Shift+Right")

So I set these all to None, but it is still not possible to assign the keyboard changing shortcut to just Alt+Shift (without any more keys). Come on, I could do it without any problems in XFCE and in Cinnamon, is it some way to configure KDE to accept it?
(I found another Alt+Shift topic here (without any answer), but I thought it was cleaner to start a new one.)
attila123
Registered Member
I have given up :'( , I set it to Alt + Shift + a, which is similar to my original shortcut. Bad, bad Plasma. :(
airdrik
Registered Member
OS
There are a couple of other threads which discuss using Meta by itself as a shortcut to open the application launcher, which included descriptions of using lower-level x key binding settings to allow you to do that, and later ksuperkey was introduced as a more end-user-friendly solution (but you still needed to install it separately).

Now in KDE 5 (I don't remember which version, but it was in one of the earlier releases), they made some changes to allow binding those modifiers by themselves, but I don't know off-hand how far they went with that (I know Meta is supported, probably Alt as well).

airdrik, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Dec.
attila123
Registered Member
Thank you so much for the answer. What confused me when setting the shortcut for switching the keys was that when running systemsettings5 (go to Keyboard -> Layouts), somehow "Alternative Shortcut" was set and I tried to re-set it to Alt + Shift, which it did not allow (for some reason). Somehow I ignored the two other options: "Main Shortcuts" and "3rd level shortcuts" just above it. IMHO it is quite overcomplicated. Anyway, I managed to set my needed configuration by setting the "Main Shortcuts" to Alt + Shift, and setting the "Alternative shortcut" to "None" ("3rd level shortcuts" was and is also "None").