This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Panel freeze when filesystem disappears

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
kjetilk
Registered Member
Hi all!

I've been using KDE for 15 years, and I'm very happy about it. There's an annoying thing that has gotten rather painful, I wonder if you have a good solution. The symptom is simple:

Often, when I undock my laptop from the docking station, the Plasma panel freezes until I reconnect it or it times out after like half an hour or so.

I dug into this some years ago, and it turned out that the reason why it happens is that I have a bunch of NFS file systems, and it happens if anything has an open file on the NFS share. Recently, I changed to use an automounter to manage them, thinking that might help, but it didn't.

Obviously, I have been making sure there are no open files manually, but sometimes, I don't have time to do that when running off to a meeting or something. Then, it becomes really painful. I really would expect some kind of message hopping up, asking me what to do. I understand it is problematic when a file system suddenly disappears, but I really think it should handle it more gracefully.

I haven't seen many others having this problem while googling, so perhaps people are finding OK solutions to it. How do you manage this?

BTW, I'm not entirely up to date, I'm running Debian stable on that laptop.

Cheers,

Kjetil
koffeinfriedhof
Registered Member
OS
Hi!

Perhaps you could write yourself an udev-event triggering a lazy unmount or similar.

See https://wiki.debian.org/udev for details.