This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Desktop icons forget their positions at startup

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
stevenlake
Registered Member
OS
Okay, I've got an annoying problem and this seems to crop up every so often and I can't figure out how to fix it. Namely, every so often KDE forgets the positions of my desktop icons. I can reposition them all I want, but as soon as I reboot they reset to defaults as though they were never sorted in the first place. Now here's the weird part. Two if the icons still remember their positions, but the rest do not. I've tried removing the icons and readding them, copying them from the kde menu, etc. Sometimes they'll remember the positions for a few boots, but then it forgets them again. But again, I have two that have maintained their positions even though the rest have not. I've also noticed that when the system boots up that they're the first items on the desktop to load, followed by the icons that refuse to stay where I put them. Those seem to fill in around those two. So I get the feeling that this is more an issue of something in KDE not remembering the previous session and icon positions properly than anything. Either way, is there a way to fix this? Such as perhaps maybe resetting the session so it starts out clean and then properly remembers icon positions afterwards, or do I have to do something else? Any help is appreciated.
stevenlake
Registered Member
OS
Hmm, it seems I my have discovered the source of my issue. I moved the .config folder aside and suddenly my icons now stay where they're supposed to. So I'm going back in and loading an older copy of .config, .kde and .local to see if it solves the issue for good. It'd be interesting if it did.

EDIT: Nope, didn't solve the issue. As soon as I rebooted everything went back to broke again. :(