This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Disable recently opened files/videos/images in task manager?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Dibo
Registered Member
Hi,

Even google didn't find anything. How to completely turn off recently opened videos / files when right click e.g. on VLC item in task manager? Even Sweeper or BleachBit can't clear it and I must remember to do this manually and this is a big no no for my privacy.

Regards
Rog131
Registered Member
Dibo wrote:Hi,

Even google didn't find anything. How to completely turn off recently opened videos / files when right click e.g. on VLC item in task manager? Even Sweeper or BleachBit can't clear it and I must remember to do this manually and this is a big no no for my privacy.

Regards

'Big brother is watching you'

This brother seems to be the 'kactivitymanagerd' : https://github.com/KDE/kactivitymanagerd#readme
System service to manage user's activities, track the usage patterns etc...

A quick test:

- Stopping the service.
- Starting the service.
- Opening a video clip (Dirty Weekend) with the VLC:

Code: Select all
$ kactivitymanagerd stop         
Service stopped
Cleaning up...
[rog131@archfox ~]$ kactivitymanagerd start
Config timer connecting...
Setting the name of  0x55eef9367770  to  "org.kde.ActivityManager.Resources.Scoring"
Creating directory:  "/home/rog131/.local/share/kactivitymanagerd/resources/"
KActivities: Database connection:  "kactivities_db_resources_139654514089472_readwrite"
    query_only:          QVariant(qlonglong, 0)
    journal_mode:        QVariant(QString, "wal")
    wal_autocheckpoint:  QVariant(qlonglong, 100)
    synchronous:         QVariant(qlonglong, 1)
Setting the name of  0x55eef9366f30  to  "org.kde.ActivityManager.ActivityTemplates"
Setting the name of  0x55eef93589a0  to  "org.kde.ActivityManager.RunApplication"
Service started, version: 7.0.0
Cleaning up...
[rog131@archfox ~]$ Creating the cache for:  "/media/sda1/Video/AtomicParsley/Dirty Weekend.mp4"
Already in database?  false
      First update :  QDateTime(2017-11-26 12:39:38.000 EET Qt::TimeSpec(LocalTime))
       Last update :  QDateTime(2017-11-26 12:39:38.000 EET Qt::TimeSpec(LocalTime))
After the adjustment
     Current score :  0
      First update :  QDateTime(2017-11-26 12:39:38.927 EET Qt::TimeSpec(LocalTime))
       Last update :  QDateTime(2017-11-26 12:39:38.000 EET Qt::TimeSpec(LocalTime))
         New score :  0
ResourceScoreUpdated: "89ffec23-e827-4a9f-b339-2293a28e3c5b" "vlc" "/media/sda1/Video/AtomicParsley/Dirty Weekend.mp4"

A workaround:

The kactivitymanagerd is collecting the data to the database at: $HOME/.local/share/kactivitymanagerd/resources/...
If you stop the kactivitymanagerd service -> no data saving.

If you want this fixed:

You could file a bug report against the kactivitymanagerd - Please add a disable button to the system settings if you want to collect the data...
Dibo
Registered Member
Dibo
Registered Member
Response from KDE bugtracker:
You can mark an activity as private / incognito in activity settings

So there is possibility to turn off this in settings. Seems to working fine now, I don't see any recent opened items in task's bar context menu
tiendonam
Registered Member
OS
In Plasma 5.15 (I think it does also work on older versions) you can disable it:

System Settings > Workspace > Desktop Behaviour > Activities > Privacy > Remember opened files = Do not remember
Registered Member
you can immutable the "kactivitymanagerd" by using this instruction
 cd ~/.local/share

And Then Type This with root privilege
 sudo chattr +i kactivitymanagerd

this make the recent immutable, but maybe you need to clear recent. for that just use
 rm -r kactivitymanagerd

then make that folder again and immutable it.
for make that folder use this command
 mkdir kactivitymanagerd