This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

What keeps creating .kde4/share/config/kdeglobals?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
thorbsd
Registered Member
I'm using Arch, and have Plasma 5.11, Frameworks 5.41, Qt 5.10, Applications 17.12.

Applications 17.12 was supposed to be the end of anything KDE4/Qt4 related. I don't have any Qt4 applications installed.

Why does the .kde4 folder and the kdeglobals file that lives under it keep being created? I was waiting patiently for this file to finally disappear because it already exists under .config.
thorbsd
Registered Member
Is this file hardcoded to this path?

I've even attempted to set the $KDEHOME environment variable according to https://userbase.kde.org/KDE_System_Administration/KDE_Filesystem_Hierarchy#KDEHOME to move the folder/file to to ~/.config/kde but whatever is creating this file is still using ~/.kde4.
claydoh
Registered Member
OS
You may not have any qt4 programs, but what about KDE4 ones, such as Amarok, Kmymoney, or others?

claydoh, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct, and KDE user since 2001
thorbsd
Registered Member
There shouldn't be anything from KDE4. It's a pretty minimal install with just the "Plasma-meta" package which should install just the Plasma 5 environment, and I have only installed a few select packages from the "Applications" group (Dolphin, Konsole, Kate, Ark, Kompare, KWalletManager, KInfoCenter, KSysGuard) and they should all be "KDE5 only" programs (for lack of a better term).

I wanted to try to figure out which process was actually creating the file but I haven't quite figured out how to do that yet.

The folder and file gets recreated on every boot, and it also gets recreated if I change the color scheme. I just use the default Breeze color scheme, but maybe the program that sets the color scheme gets called every time Plasma launches.
thorbsd
Registered Member
The kdeglobbals file that's being created appears to be from setting the system color scheme at boot.

$KDEDIRS and $KDEHOME don't exist anymore: https://community.kde.org/Frameworks/Po ... andardDirs

KDE_DEFAULT_HOME seems to be a compile-time variable, but on Arch at least it's not being modified, so somewhere in the plasma-desktop source it's defined as $HOME/.kde4

I give up, I'm going in circles trying to follow the code I'm reading. All I want is to either have .kde4/share/config/kdeglobals not be created on boot (it's already located at .config/kdeglobals - why is it needed twice?), or move the .kde4 into my .config folder.
equaeghe
Registered Member
OS
I have essentially the same question. I'd like to get rid of ~/.kde4. I'm on Gentoo. I saw that some kde5 packages still install (and use) some kde4-related executables. To get an idea, I searched for files with ‘kde4’ in them (and removed the obviously uninteresting ones):
Code: Select all
> locate -r kde4 | grep -v home | grep -v portage
/usr/lib64/cmake/KDELibs4/kde4_cmake_uninstall.cmake.in
/usr/lib64/cmake/KF5KDELibs4Support/kde4_exec_via_sh.cmake
/usr/lib64/cmake/KF5KDELibs4Support/kde4uic.cmake
/usr/lib64/kconf_update_bin/kde4breeze
/usr/share/kde4
/usr/share/kcmkeys/kde4.kksrc
/usr/share/kconf_update/kde4breeze.upd
/usr/share/kde4/apps
/usr/share/kde4/services
/usr/share/kde4/apps/kconf_update
/usr/share/kde4/apps/solid
/usr/share/kde4/apps/kconf_update/disable_kmix.upd
/usr/share/kde4/apps/kconf_update/plasmaVolumeDisableKMixAutostart.pl
/usr/share/kde4/apps/solid/actions
/usr/share/kde4/apps/solid/actions/vlc-openbd.desktop
/usr/share/kde4/apps/solid/actions/vlc-opencda.desktop
/usr/share/kde4/apps/solid/actions/vlc-opendvd.desktop
/usr/share/kde4/apps/solid/actions/vlc-openvcd.desktop
/usr/share/kde4/services/khelpcenter.desktop
/usr/share/man/man5/kde4-base.eclass.5.bz2
/usr/share/man/man5/kde4-functions.eclass.5.bz2
/usr/share/man/man5/kde4-meta.eclass.5.bz2

For example:
Code: Select all
> equery b /usr/share/kde4/apps/kconf_update
 * Searching for /usr/share/kde4/apps/kconf_update ...
kde-plasma/plasma-pa-5.11.5 (/usr/share/kde4/apps/kconf_update)

I guess they try to make sure some essential files needed for any remaining kde4 applications are still present. I'm still on 17.08, but if for 17.12 it is indeed the idea that no such applications can still exist, then a bug report about this is in order.