This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Random freezes (not intel graphics)

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
guyman70718
Registered Member

Random freezes (not intel graphics)

Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:46 am
Hey, I just reinstalled kubuntu for the first time in a while, and love the new look, but I am constantly getting random freezes where my mouse can be moved, but nothing can be clicked. I can also hear sound from any running programs. The only way to fix it is a hard reset. I already tried changing from the open source driver to the reccomended driver, but it did not work. Is it still my graphics? I have a NVIDIA GT 1030.
darinmiller
Registered Member
Recommend installing NVidia proprietary drivers if you have not installed already. Use the Drives option in System Settings -> Hardware section you are unfamiliar with driver installs.
guyman70718
Registered Member
darinmiller wrote:Recommend installing NVidia proprietary drivers if you have not installed already. Use the Drives option in System Settings -> Hardware section you are unfamiliar with driver installs.

As I said, already done.
lnx64
Registered Member
OS
I have run into some oddities very similar to yours, but applications can be clicked, whereas any part of Plasma can not. It turns out for me, it was triggered by running Gnome's Disks utility. Perhaps something from Gnome is being run on yours and is causing some weird lockups as well? Apologies if this is not the case.

Michael MacEachern
guyman70718
Registered Member
lnx64 wrote:I have run into some oddities very similar to yours, but applications can be clicked, whereas any part of Plasma can not. It turns out for me, it was triggered by running Gnome's Disks utility. Perhaps something from Gnome is being run on yours and is causing some weird lockups as well? Apologies if this is not the case.

While I have had this issue as well, I found my issue was a memory leak in a game I was playing. Thanks anyway though!
lnx64
Registered Member
OS
guyman70718 wrote:
lnx64 wrote:I have run into some oddities very similar to yours, but applications can be clicked, whereas any part of Plasma can not. It turns out for me, it was triggered by running Gnome's Disks utility. Perhaps something from Gnome is being run on yours and is causing some weird lockups as well? Apologies if this is not the case.

While I have had this issue as well, I found my issue was a memory leak in a game I was playing. Thanks anyway though!

Glad to hear you found the issue, sometimes those freezes are hard to find.

Michael MacEachern