This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Path to automatically mounted drive keeps changing

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
TheStarvingOne
Registered Member
OS
I am not really sure, where that topic should be posted, but as I set it in Plasma settings, I post it in Plasma 5 section. I apologize for missing the more fitting option.

The problem I encounter is the hard drive I use for storing my various files gets its path changed somehow after some time passing. In the /media/thestarvingone folder there currently are 3 folders - one currently representing the actual drive space and the other two being "memories" of the drive space. These two directories are HKUB_data and HKUB_data1 and currently used one is HKUB_data2. Seems like system keeps creating new versions of the same folder, just labeled with another number in the end of the name. I would not really mind that if not the fact it makes me lose correct paths for downloads and such. Is there a way to disable it and possibly come to the default? Or is it some issue with Plasma I should report to the bug tracker?
Gummidge
Registered Member
I never auto mount media and can only suggest that the incrementing of your HKUB folders may be related to that.

Mounting of media itself has, to the best of my limited knowledge, nothing to do with plasma. I use several usb sticks to save data files which are mounted using Dolphin when they are inserted. I may have several attached at any one time and can read/write to each without problem.
compatico
Registered Member
OS
TheStarvingOne wrote:I am not really sure, where that topic should be posted, but as I set it in Plasma settings, I post it in Plasma 5 section. I apologize for missing the more fitting option.

The problem I encounter is the hard drive I use for storing my various files gets its path changed somehow after some time passing. In the /media/thestarvingone folder there currently are 3 folders - one currently representing the actual drive space and the other two being "memories" of the drive space. These two directories are HKUB_data and HKUB_data1 and currently used one is HKUB_data2. Seems like system keeps creating new versions of the same folder, just labeled with another number in the end of the name. I would not really mind that if not the fact it makes me lose correct paths for downloads and such. Is there a way to disable it and possibly come to the default? Or is it some issue with Plasma I should report to the bug tracker?

Obviously it shouldn't do that. We need a lot more info.
What desktop environment are you using, and which Plasma and QT versions?

I use FSTAB to load the UUID of my Media drive which holds video and music files which are shared across my network. Plus I automount a backup drive the same way, and no issues with either. How are you automounting the drive?
TheStarvingOne
Registered Member
OS
Gummidge wrote:I never auto mount media and can only suggest that the incrementing of your HKUB folders may be related to that.

Mounting of media itself has, to the best of my limited knowledge, nothing to do with plasma. I use several usb sticks to save data files which are mounted using Dolphin when they are inserted. I may have several attached at any one time and can read/write to each without problem.

Unfortunately I do not know that profoundly about the ways Linux works, so cannot really say which element it is, still I try to place the issue somewhere. And I am not sure if the case you describe is the same. As they are USB sticks you probably insert them and pull out when the job is done, my problem is with a hard drive, which is constantly plugged with SATA to my motherboard.
And yes, I suspect all the problem is caused by the automount operation or the settings app in Plasma.

compatico wrote:Obviously it shouldn't do that. We need a lot more info.
What desktop environment are you using, and which Plasma and QT versions?

Oh yeah, I should provide all the information in the first place. It should solve the most of it:
Screenfetch
KInfo
(from top to bottom plasma version, frameworks? and Qt, kernel, bits)

What could possibly be useful, too might be the drive model, I include what KDE partitioner says about that, too:
Hitachi (actually HGST) HUS72403. It's a 3GB drive

compatico wrote:I use FSTAB to load the UUID of my Media drive which holds video and music files which are shared across my network. Plus I automount a backup drive the same way, and no issues with either. How are you automounting the drive?

I enter the utility in Plasma settings
I am sorry, I use my localisation, but I hope it is enough to show you the way it looks. You can find it in "removable devices"

Also something I did come up with - deleting the entries abandoned after incrementing the hard drive name seems to recover the correct name in the path. It is named back with no number in name. Cannot be all sure though - I deleted the unnecessary folders and left it alone not knowing how to rename the actual drive back. So I just guess it got renamed back after a reboot or something. And I am sure it is not solution for the problem and it'll rather start changing again in future.
compatico
Registered Member
OS
Not sure why it would do that...I know names are assigned when mounting and it should retain a history of the drive. That's why I mount my Media drive through the file system directly using the UUID of the physical drive which does not change, so it's always the same name for the drive and sharing is always available. You need to find out the UUID of the drive and then edit the FSTAB file:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/966706/ ... on-startup

Careful when editing that file, as it can mess up your config if you alter the boot drive info. But adding another line to mount a drive is perfectly safe.
TheStarvingOne
Registered Member
OS
I decided to edit the FSTAB as you said, everything looks correct now. Thanks for your effort!

Do you think I should actually try reporting it to KDE Bugtracker as an issue?