This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Alt+Shift+Backtab for reverse task switching?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
CyberAngel
Registered Member
I have two laptops with KDE Neon and Plasma 5.12.2 installed.

Both of the laptops are setup in exactly the same way, but only in one of them the Alt+Shift+Backtab and reverse task switching is working :/
In the second laptop the keyboard layout is changing when I press Alt+Shift+Backtab, and the forward task switching is activated instead of the reverse.

Anyone has some pointers to what I could look at in order to make the reverse task switching work with Alt+Shift+Backtab in both laptops?
airdrik
Registered Member
OS
You might confirm that the key combination is registered correctly in System Settings -> Gestures and Shortcuts -> Global Keyboard Shortcuts -> KWin, "Walk Through Windows (Reverse)". If it appears to be registered correctly but not working, you could try entering the shortcut as a custom shortcut just to see if the keyboard may be emitting a different sequence when you press that shortcut.

airdrik, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Dec.
CyberAngel
Registered Member
If I disable the "Alt+Shift" key combination for System Settings -> Input Devices -> Keyboard -> Advanced -> Switching to another layout, then the reverse task switching is working. As long as I re-enable the "Alt+Shift" key combination to switch to another layout, the reverse task switching is not working anymore :/

Trying to set any shortcut that uses "Alt+Shift+whatever" is impossible when "Alt+Shift" is used for switching to another layout. I'm puzzled since the exact same setup is working on a different laptop.
airdrik
Registered Member
OS
Yeah, I find it odd to have different behavior between the two machines with the same setup. Perhaps there's something different in the x input config somewhere which is different (one responding to the Alt+Shift combo on key press, one waiting to respond to that until release). Unfortunately I am not familiar with any of the internals there.

At the very least you can work around the issue by either disabling the layout switching picking a different combo which doens't interfere with the other shortcuts.

airdrik, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Dec.
CyberAngel
Registered Member
I'll probably live with it. Thank you for the suggestions anyway :)

BTW here is an unanswered question that mentions the same problem.
https://unix.stackexchange.com/question ... a-shortcut
avasilev
Registered Member
I have the same problem. When I set shortcut for changing layout (alt+shift), then all other shortcuts that include alt+shift does not work.

Is there any solution or workaround other than removing the shortcut.
Is there any bug reported?
avasilev
Registered Member