This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

How to use Wayland?

Tags: vmware, vm, enable, wayland, animation, kubuntu, manjaro vmware, vm, enable, wayland, animation, kubuntu, manjaro vmware, vm, enable, wayland, animation, kubuntu, manjaro
(comma "," separated)
Crux
Registered Member
OS

How to use Wayland?

Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:55 pm
I read that Plasma 5.12 brings improved support for wayland. Since my VMs always lag I am interested in trying it out. Ubuntu runs a lot smoother with it.
However, I'm still very new to the linux world, so I don't really know how to follow these instructions to enable it.
I am using the newest Manjaro version with KDE Plasma 5.12.
I just wanted to ask if someone can give me a step by step instruction (doesn't have to be super detailed) on how to use wayland.

Thanks for any help! ;D
Clancularius
Registered Member

Re: How to use Wayland?  Topic is solved

Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:03 am
Make sure the package plasma-wayland-session is installed. Log out. At the bottom of the default log in screen, there's a menu called "Desktop Session". Select it there and login. As a precaution, you should turn off automatic login until you verify it works correctly.
Crux
Registered Member
OS

Re: How to use Wayland?

Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:18 pm
Well, that was easier than I thought... ;D

It seems that Wayland on Plasma doesn't really like the VMware Player tho. I can't resize the window and when I open the monitor settings it just glitches out, can't select anything...

Just created a new VM with the newest Manjaro and there the animations are just extreeemely slow. It takes minutes until a window completely faded in, while the actual actions like dragging a window run smoother than with xorg.

Guess I'll have to wait for some more optimizations. Thanks! ;D

EDIT: Doesn't even work with a clean installation of Kubuntu 18.04 Preview 1 that ships with it.