This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

corners actions

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
lpohl
Registered Member

corners actions

Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:36 pm
There are hot corners in kde. My issue is that i had thought that when i go to the corner with the mouse, the action is executed, but this happens only about 25% of cases. Mostly when I move the mouse into the corner, nothing happens. The system settings says:

"To trigger an action push your mouse cursor against the edge of the screen in the action's direction."

Unfortunately, I do not even understand the sentence: What does it mean to push the mouse? (do I literally put the mouse on the screen and push on the corner???) What is the direction of the action?

So, my question is, what is the mysterious "spell" to make the corner action happen 100% times when I want it to happen.
abury
Registered Member
OS

Re: corners actions

Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:51 am
Umm... no, pushing the mouse on a physical monitor... isn't it!
its the regular normal mouse stuff...
I am assuming that you've worked through the Active Screen Corners and Edges settings?
See System Settings>Screen Edges
Trust that helps you

KDE neon 5.20 - Plasma 5.20.5 - Frameworks 5.78 - Qt 5.15.2 - Kernel 5.4.0-65
airdrik
Registered Member
OS

Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:37 pm
Testing in Plasma 4, when I move the mouse into an active corner, it highlights the corner to show that it's going to activate the action. It only requires moving the cursor into the corner and letting it rest there for a short delay (to reduce accidental activations).

airdrik, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Dec.
lpohl
Registered Member

Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:05 pm
I disagree, at least on my system. You can go to the, say, left top corner, it gets highlighted but no action is executed. From all I tested, there seems to be dependence of whether the action gets triggered on some of the following: the speed with which you arrive - going there slowly will not execute action on my system, the length of motion in a fixed direction when you arrive there, the direction under which your mouse arrives, or where exactly it arrives in the corner, or maybe non of the preceding, only it just seems so because of the way the trigger works. Anyway, I still do not know what it means to "push mouse against the edge" or what the recipe is for 100% activation. The interesting thing is that I can get the corner highlighted 100% of times but highlighting is not the same as executing the action. The only other thing, besides the above, that comes to my mind is that the code says that the triger is if the mouse is really on (0,0) coordinate (assuming the relevant corner has is the origin). if there is no area around it that would also be sensitive, this can cause all these troubles because it actually is difficult to hit exactly (0,0) with the mouse quickly.

airdrik wrote:Testing in Plasma 4, when I move the mouse into an active corner, it highlights the corner to show that it's going to activate the action. It only requires moving the cursor into the corner and letting it rest there for a short delay (to reduce accidental activations).