This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Activity panel randomly appearing, cannot hide

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
ZonOfThor
Registered Member
I love Plasma especially the Activity function as it allows me to easily switch between typical office use vs. programming activity.

But, the activity panel is appearing totally randomly when I switch activities and there is no consistency in where or when. The worst is though that there is no close button and I cannot find anywhere in settings a way to disable this panel without taking out the activity indicator on taskbar.

As such I cannot figure out if this is a bug, wrong setting or just expected behaviour - but it is really killing my otherwise nice Plasma experience.

sabras
Registered Member
I can confirm this "bug". I just recently use Activities and found it a great way to work in a a professional environement (much better than multi desktop).
However, this tiny annoyance just ruined the whole experience. It is quite common that when moving to another activity, the panel does not hide. I have then to either
click on the panel and hit esc (not practical in dual screen 'cause I'll have to do it on each screen), or keep switching activity up to the current activity and hope the panel will disappear this time.
I also discovered that if I switch activities and wait a bit longer (like a second or two) before releasing the Super button, the activity panel hides correctly.

It would be a relief to have this corrected or that you point me on where to configure this.

Thanks,

-Sebastien

System : KUbuntu 18.04
airdrik
Registered Member
OS
There was another discussion on this: viewtopic.php?f=289&t=151951
A patch for this bug has been accepted and should be in one of the next Plasma releases.

airdrik, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Dec.
sabras
Registered Member
I upgraded to plasma desktop 5.13.5 and the problem is still present :( .
How can I know which kde version contains the above patch ?
Is it supposed to be merged in the 5.13.5 version (but then my problem isn't solved by this patch) or should I wait a bit longer ?

Thx
airdrik
Registered Member
OS
Had to go digging through git histories (would be nice if cases were labeled with (expected) fix versions; but it looks like it just barely missed the 5.13 window but should be in 5.14.

Iiari
Registered Member
airdrik wrote:Had to go digging through git histories (would be nice if cases were labeled with (expected) fix versions; but it looks like it just barely missed the 5.13 window but should be in 5.14.

I'm on 5.14.2, and sadly this behavior is still there. It's the only quirk in my otherwise perfect Plasma experience. Everything will be auto-hiding OR if I have it set on windows to cover the actiivty panel/taskbar it works well, then all of a sudden it stops hiding in certain apps. Oddly, one app can be fine, another the taskbar won't hide. This is durable even if I kill and restart plasmashell.

Help! It's a big workflow problem. Does anyone have a link to this bug? Thanks!

Addendum: Not sure this is the same bug. I'm talking about the taskbar. Is the activity panel a different thing?
airdrik
Registered Member
OS
The Activity panel is separate from the taskbar. The Activity Panel pops up when switching activities using e.g. Meta+Tab and lists the different Activities you can switch between. There is a bug that's presumably fixed in 5.14 that when using Meta+Tab to quickly switch Activities the Activity Panel doesn't go away like it should.

As for hide behaviors in the taskbar panel (usually called just "panel"), you might try out Latte Dock which provides some different options in that regard.

shivamhw
Registered Member
Still present.. when switching rapidly it gets stuck.. although pressing esc key works
Mamarok
Manager
OS
shivamhw wrote:Still present.. when switching rapidly it gets stuck.. although pressing esc key works

Still present in what? Without a precise information about your distribution and exact Plasma version I don see how your post is helpful ...

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
kde-gabesword
Registered Member
I am seeing the Activity panel get stuck on sometimes when changing activities by using the Meta + Tab keyboard shortcut. I get it to go away by quickly switching between activities again and again and again until the panel goes away.

I am on:

KDE Neon 5.19 User Edition
KDE Plasma 5.19.4
KDE Frameworks 5.73.0
Qt 5.14.2
Kernel 5.4.0-45-generic
OS Type 64-bit
koffeinfriedhof
Registered Member
OS
Try pressing Meta+Q if it is visible (the default shortcut for displaying this menu)
kde-gabesword
Registered Member
koffeinfriedhof wrote:Try pressing Meta+Q if it is visible (the default shortcut for displaying this menu)

Thanks. That makes it a lot easier.
kaymk
Registered Member
I always faced this issue and a quick dumb fix logout/restart. Recently it came to my attention how strong knowledge transfer over here is so I googled my problem and opened this link only and just like that fixed. I am fully thankful to you guys.