This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Folder View widget

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Bladeforce
Registered Member

Folder View widget

Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:28 pm
Hi,

I have added the folder view widget to the taskbar panel. Is there any way to change the size of the pop up when clicking it? I understand you can if you apply the widget to the desktop (Holding left button down) but i'd like to make this pop up bigger when it is attached to the taskbar

Many thanks
jmacleod
Registered Member

Re: Folder View widget

Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:40 pm
Not quite sure why there is a folder widget when, as I understand it, the /default/ desktop is expected to be folderview. Unsure because either of these offer exactly the same options.

I added the widget to the panel but all it displayed was a listing of folders/files in the Desktop folder (loaded by default) very like a menu.

I actually use the folder view desktop across several activities with each activity only showing folders & files directly linked to it.
Zren
Registered Member
OS

Re: Folder View widget  Topic is solved

Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:42 pm
Alt+RightClick+Drag will resize any window. It also works on the plasma panel popups until the next restart.

If you want a semi-permanent fix, you could edit the widget's QML code. However this file is overriden often during Plasma updates, so... I wouldn't really advise doing this.

/usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.desktopcontainment/contents/ui/main.qml

Layout.preferredWidth: isPopup ? preferredWidth(false) : 0 // for the popup size to change at runtime when view mode changes
Layout.preferredHeight: isPopup ? preferredHeight(false) : 0

are what control the size.

Layout.preferredWidth: isPopup ? 400 : 0 // for the popup size to change at runtime when view mode changes
Layout.preferredHeight: isPopup ? 600 : 0

would make it 400px wide, and 600px tall. Note that you don't want to remove the isPopup stuff or you'll screw up the desktop icons (probably) since this code is also used for the desktop icons.

Bladeforce
Registered Member

Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:14 pm
Thanks to all for the help. It worked a treat! Would be nice to have an option where it saves the saved size after updates but it's all good. Thanks again
bundito
KDE Developer
OS

Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:33 pm
Theoretically, couldn't we add size variables and save them with the rest of the configuration? Does the user's configuration XML get overwritten when Plasma is updated?

IRC: _sharvey_
airdrik
Registered Member
OS

Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:35 pm
jmacleod wrote:Not quite sure why there is a folder widget when, as I understand it, the /default/ desktop is expected to be folderview. Unsure because either of these offer exactly the same options.

I added the widget to the panel but all it displayed was a listing of folders/files in the Desktop folder (loaded by default) very like a menu.

I actually use the folder view desktop across several activities with each activity only showing folders & files directly linked to it.

Simple by default, powerful when needed. Yes the default desktop is a folder view and you can configure it to show different things by activity. Some of us will still use separate folder view widgets pointing at different locations for this for various reasons. In my case I want to see the contents of different directories in separate folder views. At the very least it doesn't hurt to leave it there as an option for people to use in tailoring their desktop to their desired workflow.

airdrik, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Dec.
Bladeforce
Registered Member

Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:56 pm
All of a sudden i can't resize the folder view widget from the taskbar with alt-right click-drag
airdrik
Registered Member
OS

Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:28 pm
As of when? after a recent (plasma) update? did some other configs change (such as switching to Latte Dock, adding/removing other widgets or changing the desktop type)?
Does the problem persist across a logout+login or restart?
If you create a new folder view widget in the panel does it work for the new widget?
Can you reproduce the problem with a new user?

airdrik, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Dec.
Bladeforce
Registered Member

Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:03 pm
To be honest i dont know exactly when it started to happen as i have constant updates but i cant resize a folder view widget thats docked in the taskbar whether its an old one or new one. Well i cant resize it with the old alt-right and drag operation