This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Install Plasma 5.12.3 on Linux Mint 18.3

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
hstoellinger
Registered Member
Hello,
Having tried out KDENeon and finding the "upgrade" process VERY shaky, I returned to Mint 18.3. It offers Plasma 5.8. Frequently it locks up on my Sony Laptop. So, I would like to install Plasma 5.12.3, should that be possible. Any ideas?
Regards
H. Stoellinger
claydoh
Registered Member
OS
There are no packages for 5.12.x for distros based on Ubuntu 16.04 outside of Neon.
What are you finding problematic about updating//upgrading?

claydoh, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct, and KDE user since 2001
hstoellinger
Registered Member
claydoh wrote:There are no packages for 5.12.x for distros based on Ubuntu 16.04 outside of Neon.
What are you finding problematic about updating//upgrading?

... That after most of the "big" SW-Updates I have trouble getting the system back to work again. I have actually gone back to Mint 18.3, even though they say they will not
support KDE in future releases.
mbl87
Registered Member
I haven't had those problems in Neon. Only thing I dislike is the sslooooow Plasma's start up time.

Although Linux Mint won't develop a KDE flavour anymore, it will be possible to install and use KDE desktop anyway. In case you're now using Mint 18.3 KDE, you'll be able to upgrade to 19. And then Plasma will be updated to 5.12.4.

However, I'm pretty sure somebody will create an unofficial Mint KDE version very similar to current one.
hstoellinger
Registered Member
Thanks for your answer! I AM now on Mint 18.3 and it works like a charm. I will keep my eyes open when Mint 19 comes. The possibility of an unofficial KDE-distro of Mint also sounds interesting.
Greetings from Salzburg (Austria)
apache
Registered Member
OS
I think it is better to choose a distribution that is dedicated to KDE Plasma and has developers engaged in checking if everything is fine, like Kubuntu, KDE Neon, Manjaro or others. Every time I installed Plasma myself to a non-KDE-ready-out-of-the-box distribution I had problems. I am not saying that you can't succeed.

I am using Kubuntu 18.04 and it works great.