This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Plasma 5.12.4 takes more than one minute to start

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
mbl87
Registered Member
Hello everyone.

I'm running KDE Neon in a laptop which has an Intel Core i7 4700MQ 2.40GHz CPU, 8GB RAM and HDD (no SSD by now!).

Plasma version: 5.12.4
KDE Frameworks: 5.44.0
Qt version: 5.10.0
Linux kernel: 4.13.0-38-generic
64 bit system.
Grafics: X.org (Wayland does not have a good relationship with HDMI output, at least in this PC).

I DO love KDE environment and most of its apps. But startup time really annoys me. It takes 70 seconds since I enter the password and the system is fully loaded. That's around 40 secs more than with Linux Mint Cinnamon.

That only happens after booting. If I end and start session, it only takes 11 seconds, which is an amazing startup time.

I've already disabled splash screen and start an empty session, but it has not made much improvement.

Some time ago I tried Plasma 5.9 in Mint and I loved it, but switched back to Cinnamon due to this issue. 5.12 was supposed to solve this, but things remain almost the same.

Is there any way I could fix this? Do I have to wait to 5.13? Or should I go back to Linux Mint?

Thanks in advance.