This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Icon installed in home directory not available until restart

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
fabianocorsetti
Registered Member
Hi everyone

I'm not a frequent KDE user, but I ran into a small issue and I was hoping that someone could help me figure it out.

What I am doing is installing an icon resource as a user (in ~/.local/share/icons) and then installing an application launcher on the desktop using this icon. Here is a minimal script:

Code: Select all
xdg-icon-resource install --context apps --size 512 icon.png example-example
xdg-desktop-icon install example-example.desktop

(Here is example-example.desktop:
Code: Select all
[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Version=1.0
Name=Example
Comment=Start Example
Icon=example-example
Exec=kate
Terminal=false
Categories=Office

)

What I find is that the launcher appears on the desktop with a missing icon; if I log out and log in again, the icon will then appear. Equally if I completely restart plasmashell the icon will appear. I have not been able to find a way of refreshing the icon cache that will make it appear immediately on installation without restarting the whole of Plasma.

This only happens: a) when installing as a user (not root) and b) for a brand new user account. Once I have installed one icon and restarted the system the issue never presents itself again when installing other icons for that user. Creating a new user account on the same system will show the same issue again.

I have tested this on kubuntu 17.10.1 (Plasma 5.10) and openSUSE 42.3 (Plasma 5.8 ).

Does anyone know if this is a legit issue or expected behaviour or whether I am doing something wrong?

Thanks!
airdrik
Registered Member
OS
Have you tried using the Shortcut Settings dialog for setting it up?

For creating a new shortcut, browse to the folder you want to create shortcut in (if you want it to show up in the menus, use ~/.local/share/applications), right-ciick -> Create New -> Link to Application.
For editing an existing shortcut, either right-click on the shortcut file in dolphin or a folder view and select Properties, or right-click on the Icon on the desktop and select Icon Settings.

The dialog will have everything you should need to set up the application shortcut. To set the icon, click the icon button next to the shortcut name on the General tab. This pops up a selector where you can pick from the available icons. If your new icon doesn't show up in the provided lists (populated from either the icon theme or the icons in ~/.local/share/icons), you can always browse to it.
When you hit Ok on the Shortcut Settings dialog to save your changes, it will automatically update the cache(s) and the shortcut should update to show the selected icon.

airdrik, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Dec.
fabianocorsetti
Registered Member
airdrik wrote:Have you tried using the Shortcut Settings dialog for setting it up?

For creating a new shortcut, browse to the folder you want to create shortcut in (if you want it to show up in the menus, use ~/.local/share/applications), right-ciick -> Create New -> Link to Application.
For editing an existing shortcut, either right-click on the shortcut file in dolphin or a folder view and select Properties, or right-click on the Icon on the desktop and select Icon Settings.

The dialog will have everything you should need to set up the application shortcut. To set the icon, click the icon button next to the shortcut name on the General tab. This pops up a selector where you can pick from the available icons. If your new icon doesn't show up in the provided lists (populated from either the icon theme or the icons in ~/.local/share/icons), you can always browse to it.
When you hit Ok on the Shortcut Settings dialog to save your changes, it will automatically update the cache(s) and the shortcut should update to show the selected icon.

Hi airdrik, thanks for your suggestion. This does indeed work, but I need to create the shortcut with a script as it is part of an installer (made with BitRock InstallBuilder). This is why I am looking for a way to get the installer to update the icon cache after it has installed the icon.