This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Plasma 5 - GNOME-3 View

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
carolharrell
Registered Member

Plasma 5 - GNOME-3 View

Fri May 11, 2018 4:13 am
5 Best KDE Plasma Linux Distros of 2020 | Better than GNOME?
Kde plasma has been evolving at a great pace. It has improved significantly in terms of both looks and performance in recent years. Today it is more refined and faster than ever, KDE has undergone a performance overhaul and has become very efficient in terms of resource usage. The UI itself looks downright stunning, while most other desktop environments have remained pretty much the same. Kde plasma has grown into something that you should check out in 2020 KDE plasma Pro it's a very polished user experience that is unmatched.

So in this video we'll be seeing the top 5 best Linux distros featuring the KDE plasma desktop environment, and we have some really unique and amazing ones here. This is Linux X. Let'S jump right into it. Starting off, we have netrunner on number 5, Necron or 20. Is a debian-based Linux distro that features a heavily customised KDE plasma net Rana is a rock-solid OS and it has an absolutely stunning user interface it ships with plasma 5.

4, but it is very different from the vanilla KDE that we are used to seeing out of the Box, the teaming icons and the desktop look on spot. This redesigned application menu looks gorgeous, it is immersive and feels really responsive. The search is fast, and this layout is really good for touch. Screens and two-in-ones. Netrunner has its own theme, which comes in a few variants, but the default one is good, the colors pop, but not so much that they are distractive netrunner cuts down on animations and windows effects, pretty aggressively in favor of responsiveness and a lighter system, and this approach Does work the desktop windows maximize minimize in all fields will wrap it, but kiri plasma has some crazy good effects, as we will see later in this video.

We can, of course, enable these effects here in Natrona to natural now is based on debian stable. So it provides a very dependable operating system for students, developers, schools offices and pretty much everybody. It provides a very large number of software to its users directly from the Debian stable pool. Debian stable repositories have an upward of 50,000 packages. These packages are extensively tested for stability and security, so you can install pretty much anything and everything you need in a very convenient, fast and secure way.

The debian stability, coupled with the model, the stock that comes with a twist make natural, are one of the best operating systems you can use. Netrunner takes a different approach in many aspects and projects a way, refined computing experience if you're a KDE plasma fan. This OS is something you might really love. We have a very unique this row on number 4 Kaos. Linux is one of the most distinctive operating systems.

You will ever get to use. Kaos is a completely independent Linux, distro built from scratch. It is built on strong principles of riding a very lean and efficient computing environment. Kaos achieves this by prioritizing quality over quantity. It has only one desktop environment that is kiddie plasma uses only one tool kit that is QT and is available for only one architecture that is 64-bit by strongly limiting the number of versions they need to produce.

Chaos no locals have created one OS to rule them all. Kaos uses a slightly toned-down version of KDE plasma. It looks like this out of the box. Why dare to be different? That'S why, anyway, it can be undefended with a right-click here and let's change the wallpaper and turn on the dark team.

Much better chaos feels so minimal and responsive. It comes with a good number of KDE applications out of the box. Pretty much everything expected from a home computer is here: music player, video player office suit, KDE connect which pays your phone to your PC and some additional stuff. You get LibreOffice rewritten in QT here, which is significantly faster than a normal version. In fact, Kaos feels very responsive everywhere.

The fact that only QT applications are used here does contribute to this performance boost. As far as installing new software is concerned, we can do so from the octopi stroke here quick note, Kaos uses the pacman package manager, but as completely independent software repositories. These software repositories are not exactly big. In fact, chaos developers don't even intend to variety with every software. There is again the intent is quality over quantity.

Software written in GDK are non-existent in the repositories talking from a software availability point of view. Chaos is just good enough for most home users, not read just good enough. You get a decently functional system with high quality and performance if most of your work is done through a browser you're set. If this is the case, try chaos and you. Thank me.

Chaos gives you falcon browser, which is good and fast to most browsers. Today are too complicated with too many functions. I like using a very simple browser for a change. Chaos also has flat-pack support, so you can install many popular applications here. Firefox will also be soon available in flat pack format, so you can get it here.

Even steam can be installed with flat pack, so gaming, too, is good here or all I agree. Chaos is not for everybody, but it is a great ways for many people. It is fast, has high quality and looks stunning if you want to build a minimal system like a Chromebook. Chaos is one of the best options at the moment. Opensuse takes the number 3 spot on this list.

Opensuse started focusing heavily on software developers, system admins and servers, while many linux distros became more and more usable for the general public that his students, homes and stuff openSUSE evolved into the ideal OS for us software professionals. If i start talking about how great openSUSE is for developers, it's going to be a whole new video, while openSUSE is available with all the desktop environments, the KDE plasma version is particularly wary. Refined, it comes with very little. Customization still looks. Good openSUSE has two versions: leap which is the stable, regular version and tumbleweed, which is the ruling release.

Tumbleweed is like arch linux. It keeps getting updates regularly and is always new. I personally, like leap leap, is supported for three years and gets point updates every year or so with leap. There is very less pressure to update and do housekeeping with the system. This is particularly important for us developers as we are working on the same, tried and tested motion to refinish a project, but again nothing is outdated.

Opensuse has really enhanced security, since it is one of the top distros deployed on servers. It enforces very high standards as far as system security goes. Another great thing about openSUSE is yas, or just he asked he asked is the central control system for openSUSE. You control everything from here. When I say everything I mean everything.

Opensuse uses the RPM package manager. The repositories contain a good number of software. Opensuse is highly involved in the development of new technologies regarding software development and deployment. As a result, openSUSE is in high synergy with new trends that happen in this field, and the tech is easily implementable on openSUSE openSUSE KDE is really good to use. If you are a software student or a professional, I recommend you check out the leap motion.

It is very stable tested and is an experience if you are not in the software field. Fret, not my friend, the next one is for you on number two. We have the good old Kubuntu. Kubu has always been the go-to distro for anybody who loves KDE, and rightly so. Google combines the solid ubuntu base with KDE plasma, while Kubuntu does not always provide the latest KDE desktop.

It is new enough, and the focus here is on providing a system which is highly usable. Kubuntu comes with a complete KDE ecosystem of apps. All the day-to-day tools are built for KDE, so the users who choose Kubuntu specifically for KDE are satisfied but choosing to serve it. Just curious is not always a good thing, as you are limiting yourself to a very small pool of software, so Google to provide some apps like Firefox, which is straight better than falcon browser. In many ways you can also download and install software from ubuntu repositories, VPS and other demo files, irrespective of what technology they are built on, gtk or QT.

Kubuntu is developed parallel to open. It has the same core and follows the same principles. Kubuntu is a very stable operating system. It is highly optimized for performance and usability. It has an amazing software availability that makes scooby-doo adequate for everybody.

The driver support here is really good. It gets Ubuntu's driver, install tool which is really helpful for installing nvidia proprietary drivers and KDE plasma desktop works better. If proprietary, i was, i installed for nvidia gpus. Google 2 is good for gaming too, since team officially suppose over to all the games are tested and optimized for this system and with great support for Nvidia graphics cards. You are getting the best possible gaming experience on cumin to Google to is a great operating system for 2020.

It'S new and dependable. We have an honorary mention before we see who gets the number one spot. Kde neon is a linux distro from the same house as KD plasma KD neon is based on Ubuntu and comes with the latest KDE plasma and all the KDE apps. Now, if it's plasma on top of urban to cook, you might ask, what's the difference between neon and co2? Kubuntu is created to provide a stable computing environment for students, offices developers and leave no room for complaints of any sort neon, on the other hand, is created for the express purpose of exhibiting the latest KDE plasma and other KDE tech.

This difference between the reason for the creation makes a lot of difference. I want you to understand this before you choose between the two, while kiri neon can be used on a day-to-day basis. There are subtle things which I like more about Ubu. It is more user friendly and more harmonious with package management. I recommend neon if your interaction with your computer will be based more on KDE / QD apps on number one we have Manjaro KDE Manjaro KDE is an absolutely premium experience directly out of the box.

We get a stunning UI that is just so elegant. Manjaro 19 is the latest version we have and with this version they are given us a new team with improved color scheme and the new wallpaper looks perfect here of all the KDE plasma distros i've used. I resonate with this one very much. I absolutely love the dark and clean UI here. Almost every destroy.

I try. There is some customization from my part that goes in for with Manjaro KD. This thing looks just perfect: Manjaro is a rolling release. Linux, destroy with high focus on system stability. It uses Arch Linux software releases as testing grounds and releases updates to its users.

Only after confirmed stability manager is suitable for students, home usage and Linux and tech enthusiasts in particular, because you had access to the nearest of everything out there. It'S a cutting-edge distro with enhanced stability. Manjaro has very huge software repositories and everything this kept fresh there. You also get access to the arch user repository, which is the biggest collection of Linux. Software Manjaro provides a system that ease and fills newer than most operating systems out there.

It was the cutting-edge tech to you. It allows you to experience the newest packages long before they hit most other Linux distros. It keeps you a step ahead. Installing Manjaro KDE is also very simple. It has a beginner friendly installer that makes the whole process easy for everybody.

You have a new system up and running in 15 to 20 minutes. Kde plasma in 2020 makes more sense than ever. It has a tried and tested layout that is highly productive. While gnome is a great desktop. I always been critical about the fact that its application menu has the potential to be distracting and less productive, plasma, cinnamon Excel C and Windows 7.

They all have a similar layout that promotes distraction-free productivity. On top of that, plasma looks modern and just so good to look at. It has also become very efficient, most KD destroyers use just north of 500 gigs of ram at idle and KDE intelligently, adjusts its effects and stuff based on hardware to deliver a smooth system. All these things make eighty thousand one of the best desktop environments. You should be using well, that's it for today, if you like this video, do consider subscribing to my channel also do connect with me on instagram link in the description below next up check out my list of best lightweight linux distros for performance.
Other software:
https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B0996B4X5Y
https://www.amazon.com.au/gp/product/B0996B4X5Y
https://www.amazon.com.br/gp/product/B0996B4X5Y
https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B0996B4X5Y
https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B0996B4X5Y
https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B0996B4X5Y
https://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B0996B4X5Y
https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B0996B4X5Y
https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B0996B4X5Y

Last edited by carolharrell on Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
airdrik
Registered Member
OS

Re: Plasma 5 - GNOME-3 View

Mon May 14, 2018 7:48 pm
I've seen a couple of things like this posted on store.kde.org, such as this one. Feel free to browse through some of the other look-and-feel themes.
If you come up with your own implementation, feel free to share it.

airdrik, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Dec.