This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Issues after upgrading to Plasma 5.13.1

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
mjobin
Registered Member
OS
Hey There,

Posting this in this forum, so I am able to find out if other people have the same issues. And we can figure out solutions together.
I running Kubuntu 18.04 with the kubuntu/backports enabled.
I upgraded from Plasma 5.12.5 to 5.13.0 when it came out on the PPA on June 15th and I had a wonderful time.
single visual issue I found with sddm. It had a smoother visual transition from when the login box was hidden to being shown. After a few days, for some reason, this animation got slower, but otherwise, 5.13 was only improvements from 5.12

Then I ran into all sorts of problem since I upgraded from plasma 5.13.0 to 5.13.1

- systray not loading, trying to add it again does nothing, I'm not sure where to find an error message
- maybe because plasmanetworkmanager was not running, but I was without an internet connection after upgrading.
- krunner no longer search for apps, only files. I can no longer launch applications from typing them in neither krunner or the menu.
- without a systray, I've added the battery applet directly to my panel, it says no battery?

That's pretty much the gist of it. the systray and krunner, but that pose all sorts of problems in my workflow

patiently waiting on a fix.

Thanks
claydoh
Registered Member
OS
Which specific PPA have you added? 5.13 is NOT released for Kubuntu yet - the Kubuntu backports PPA only has 5.12.5, and fresher versions of that are in the official repos now.

https://launchpad.net/~kubuntu-ppa/+arc ... ter=bionic

claydoh, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct, and KDE user since 2001
mjobin
Registered Member
OS
Here is the error I get with loading the system tray

--------> load applet: "org.kde.plasma.systemtray" relpath: "plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.systemtray"
.. pathes: ("/usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.systemtray")
org.kde.plasma: Applet "/usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.systemtray" could not be loaded.
--------> load applet: "org.kde.plasma.systemtray" relpath: "plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.systemtray"
.. pathes: ("/usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.systemtray")
org.kde.plasma: Applet "/usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.systemtray" could not be loaded.
trying to show an empty dialog
mathieu:~ :-) (lifebook-wu2) $ ls /usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.systemtray
contents metadata.desktop metadata.json
mathieu:~ :-) (lifebook-wu2) $ plasmawindowed org.kde.plasma.systemtray
org.kde.plasmaquick: Applet preload policy set to 1
Unable to load applet "org.kde.plasma.systemtray" with arguments ()
mathieu:~ :-) (lifebook-wu2) $
mjobin
Registered Member
OS
Thank you claydoh, you are correct, I have experimental enabled.
I'll use ppa-purge to return to 5.12.5

5.13.0 worked perfectly though... its annoying to have these bugs with 5.13.1, which I am sure are unrelated to KDE plasma themselves, more a packaging issue
acheronuk
KDE Developer
Firstly I'll do the usual finger wagging, and say that you should not ignore warning on PPAs that say they are not for end users.

These are WIP testing builds, to see how things go while we are waiting for the Qt landing team to do Qt 5.11.

mjobin wrote:5.13.0 worked perfectly though... its annoying to have these bugs with 5.13.1, which I am sure are unrelated to KDE plasma themselves, more a packaging issue

5.13.1 works just as well (I hope), but does require packages from an additional PPA. The errors you described are pretty much what I would expect if you did not have that PPA.

(I'm not saying what PPA :P )
mjobin
Registered Member
OS
and why are you not saying what PPA it is you think I am missing?
mjobin
Registered Member
OS
any idea when 5.13.x will move from experimental into backports?
huangwenbiao
Registered Member
now after i update kali-rolling kde,then
apt show plasma-workspace
Package: plasma-workspace
Version: 4:5.13.4-1
the same problem occured,such as KDE Plasma Widgets, integrated search, hardware management is not working in the right way~